Chapter 1 (Renzo's POV)

"Hey big boy, whatcha got going on with your neck? Did kitty bite you?" Dante split into a crooked grin when he noticed the mark on my neck. We were at my father's house, but my parents were inside. It was nice weather so we'd come by for a BBQ, and Rocco kept making comments about how I should have invited Kat to something like this. 

"Don't distract him from the question. Why didn't you invite her? This is the type of shit you bring your girl to" my brother was on my case. He waved over Grace as his prime example. She was over by my mother's purple garden, but came right over as soon as she noticed us talking.  Yeah, like these two aren't attached at the hip. 

        "We aren't dating" I corrected his assumption. "So you basically both said you love each other but you aren't dating?!" Grace blurted out before my brother could. "Who the fuck told yu- fucking Dante. I'm gonna kill you" I snarled at my damn big mouth cousin. I can't tell him shit.

"Someone please explain to this man what a relationship is" my brother was pouting, like I personally offended him somehow. "Renzo, you need to start taking Kat out on dates, and sharing experiences with her...like this kind of stuff with the family. Things are gonna change, but in a good way" Grace started talking. 

"I'm gonna drown myself in the pool if this conversation continues" I hate when they all get on my case about shit. 

        "Dude, I spend more quality time with your girl than you do" Dante snorted and got my brother to chuckle. "You better fucking not be." My cousin rolled his eyes at me. "When I hang out with Kat we talk or do stuff. You just fuck the girl. That's not a relationship" Dante continued. I guess they want me to drown myself. 

"We talk in bed" I corrected him. "Oh my god" Grace slapped her hands at her sides with no hope for me. I don't want things to change. We are doing things just fine.

        We were all out on the terrace in short sleeves. Summer is coming to a close. I don't know what the hell I've done all summer aside from gun fights and murders, but damn did time fly. 3 months doesn't sound like a long time to know somebody, but with Kat and all the shit we've been through it feels more like 3 years.

        I might not know Kat's favorite color or tv show, but I know what she's thinking all the time. I know her mannerisms and her hopes and dreams even if she doesn't realize what those dreams are yet. She wants to go to school to find herself. What she is interested in and what she might want to do for a career. 

God, she's so young, she has plenty of time. It makes me feel old. I've established myself a long time ago. I am who I am...but Kat, she might find herself in newer things and outgrow me.

I'm the 'bad boy phase' before a girl gets serious with a good man and settles down to have a family. That's one of Kat's dreams even if she doesn't realize it yet. She wants what her parents have. 

        So yeah, we don't go on dates, but we've shared life or death experiences together. These people don't understand our dynamic. I don't need people poking around in my shit or getting into Kat's head. 

I don't know how to be the guy she needs, but I won't lie and say I wouldn't care if she outgrew me. I would not enjoy that.

        "And what the fuck is the difference between a date and hanging out anyway?" I suddenly spoke out to the table. All their heads snapped my way. I had gotten into my own thoughts so who knows how much time passed. 

"The intention behind it, I guess. You take her somewhere nice, you pay for her dinner, and you guys spend quality time together, and dress nice, and compliment each other." Grace looked all too pleased to rant about this.