Chapter 60

I haven't spoken to Renzo since our confrontation the other day. I think we both have some things to figure out. Mostly me. He's right in saying that I never trust him. But I'm also right in saying I can't have my life revolve around him and his support. 

There are two different kinds of 'support'. One is when someone has your back and is there to help you when needed. The other is having someone take care of you completely to the point of you having nothing of your own. To the point of needing the person. 

       Now that the Vittoria mess is cleared up I never want to speak of her again. He cut her out of his life, and that should stay in the past. But for us to have a future I need to stand on my own two feet, so that we're equals.

I guess that depends on if Renzo is even going to want this relationship after everything. I know I ran away unfairly. I know we both have faults. He had a lot to say the other day and I think he needs time to digest all that. I hope to speak to him soon and get to a better place with him. There are just a few things I need to sort out first.

        I had worked a pretty late shift last night because the drawers were kind of a mess for some reason. I had to sort all that out before I could go home. It made me sleep in, so I was only just up at 2pm. I cringed when I went to my coffee machine and realized I had no more coffee. 

The best thing about living in a city is that things are never too far away from wherever you are. There's a cafe down the road. I checked the temperature and it wasn't unbearable for a quick walk to grab a coffee. 

I put a stylish hat on to keep warm and just a plain sweater. I just grabbed my phone and a few dollars that I had on the side table from the change I got the other day. Only bad thing about city coffee is that it's pricier than it should be. I don't even get the fancy drinks either.

        I walked out of the house absentmindedly while shoving my phone into my sweater pocket, but my head snapped up when I heard my name being called. "Kat, hey" I saw an arm wave. It was Rylee just stepping out of his car. 

My gut flipped because I've been feeling suspicious of him ever since that odd incident with my mail, and his comment about my affording a townhouse. Still, I remained friendly. "Hello, Rylee. How are you?" I asked him as I often do. His charming smile never leaves him. 

"Are you off to work?" He asked me when he got onto the same sidewalk I was on. "Um, no. That's later on. I was actually on my way to grab a coffee. I ran out at home and only just realized" I chuckled.

        "I hate when that happens. The cafe down the street is good though. I go sometimes when working from home" he told me. Sometimes I wonder if I truly am being paranoid and this guy is a complete average joe...other times I think I shouldn't question my gut. 

The guys haven't updated me on any issues with my neighbor though. If anything I think I can get a better feel for him than they can. Conversations like these can reveal a lot if done right. 

"Yes, that's where I'm headed now. You're welcome to join me if you care to warm your bones" I pretended to rub my arms like I had a chill. He paused and tipped his head in thought. "You know what, yeah, that'd be great. Were you gonna walk?" He asked me. I nodded.

        "I don't have a car. I'm saving up for school" I told him. It's innocent information, but I'd like to ask him some questions too. I figure he won't feel strange about it if I offer him details of my life willingly. "Oh good. Do you know which school yet?" He turned and motioned for us to start walking down to the cafe together. 

"I don't. I'm going to apply to a few and just decide from there. I don't exactly know what I wanna do yet" I shrugged. I felt his eyes shift down to me. "You're young, huh?" He made that clear observation.