Chapter 61

"We need to talk." My heart rate picked up when my unexpected guest showed up and told me those words. Renzo was in casual clothing, which looks just as dang good as his suits do. Black tee, black leather jacket, dark jeans. His hair sat softly on his head, but his expression was hard. 

I stared at him for a second too long, but quickly cleared my throat and opened the door wider for his large frame to fit by. I lingered at the door while closing it. That left my back to him, which I needed because I needed a moment to pull myself together. 

"What about?" I finally found my voice when I was forced to turn around.

      Renzo didn't walk to the living room. Instead he stood in that wide stance that always makes him look so good. It left me awkwardly standing between him and the closed door. He was a few feet away though. Still I felt pinned somehow. Broad shoulders, sharp eyes, cut jaw. Focus, Kat.

Before Renzo spoke to me he held a finger up to his mouth to tell me to hush. I tipped my head in confusion, but then he pulled some contraption out of his pocket and started scanning my walls and furniture and everything. 

        Um? I just stood there like a fool. Watching. He was through with whatever he was doing. When he scanned the ground he stopped over something. Renzo straightened himself out and walked over to me. When he took my hand my heart flipped.

I didn't bother protesting or asking questions, I just let him pull me into the bedroom and then into the bathroom. What's his angle here? When he turned on the shower I hesitated. Is he just going to try resolving our issues with sex? Because that's the last thing we need.

        My attention focused solely on him when he finally turned around and looked down at me. "Listen to me, you need to be very careful with what you say in this house. We found out who Rylee is," Renzo told me. My heart rate only increased with every new word. 

Renzo took a step closer, which made me subconsciously take one back. My bum hit the edge of the sink. I have nowhere else to go, and suddenly this bathroom feels very cramped. Renzo flipped on the vent to keep the steam away. Or to make a lot of noise.

        "He's an undercover cop, Kat." My eyes flew wide and my mouth dried right up. "R-Renzo..I was just with him" I was about to start panicking. What did I say? Did I say anything that could get Renzo or any of the Revello's into trouble?! Oh gosh, what did we talk about? The conversation flew right out of my mind. I watched Renzo stiffen. 

"What the fuck do you mean you were just with him?" His jaw got tight. "I was walking to get coffee and...I ran into him and he came with me. Oh my gosh...he's a cop...w-what does he want? Oh my g-are we all going to be arrested?! Is it Sven? He knows doesn't he" I started to spiral. 

I couldn't control the tremor that started in my hands first, but began working its way up.

       Renzo motioned for me to slow down. "Look at me," he took my chin to bring my face up to focus on him. "If he wants anyone it's me, not you. We don't know what he wants yet, but I have someone looking into it. You can't speak to him anymore. You say hello and you move along." My mind was still reeling. I pressed my hand to my head and tried to think of everything I said to Rylee today.

"Kat, tell me everything you spoke about" Renzo grasped my chin again to bring me back to attention. I retraced my steps when I first encountered Rylee and tried reliving the conversation almost word for word. 

Renzo's jaw kept clenching and unclenching. "I don't like that he's using you to find dirt on me. Why the fuck are you two hanging out anyways?!" He was getting mad for other reasons now.