Another door closes

Reese

After turning down Liam, I went back inside, changed my clothes, and went for a run. I needed to clear my head and get some space from everyone.

I didn't know how long I ran until I checked my watch and noticed the time and distance. I stopped, popped a squat on the beach, and looked out towards the ocean. I pulled my knees to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. Small waves rolled onto the sand as a calmness enveloped the water.

"You could have waited."

I glanced to find Sage sitting down next to me and stretching out her legs.

"I'm not a runner, so I would need a motorized sand vehicle to catch your ass."

I scoffed.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"What's to talk about? Liam asked me to be his girl. I told him no. End of story."

"Is it?"

I looked at Sage as she arched a brow.

"Or are you keeping your options open?"

"I waited months for Liam to commit to us, but he didn't. When I asked him where we stood, he avoided my question. Why now?"

"Maybe Liam wanted to make sure." Sage shrugged.

I turned my body to face Sage. "Sage, I was all in with Liam, but I can't wait for him to make a decision."

"Did you ever consider that Liam waited because of what you felt about Rafe?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why did you go after Blair? The brothers had it under control. But you wanted to get your licks in with her. Why?"

"Because I wanted to wipe the smugness off her face for what she did to Rafe. Do you have any idea what it was like to hear the doctors put him on a vent? How can you hurt someone and get enjoyment from it? It wasn't right."

Sage didn't say anything else after that but sat with me. I didn't want to talk about Liam or Rafe. I wanted to sit here and watch the calmness of the ocean.

*******
Sage

After sitting with Reese for a while, we walked back to the house. When we reached it, Romeo was waiting outside. Reese went inside as I walked over to Romeo. Romeo took my hand and started walking from the house. I wasn't planning to exercise tonight with walking. Eh, who doesn't enjoy a romantic stroll on the beach with their boyfriend?

"How's Liam?" I asked as we walked.

"Owen is taking care of Liam. Sometimes, we need our dads to help with us a broken heart."

"Or our moms."

Romeo glanced at me and nodded.

"Reese wanted Liam to commit, but he waited too long."

Romeo stopped and turned to me. "Because Liam waited to see if Reese chose Rafe over him."

"Huh?"

"Sage, how do you compete when someone's heart belongs to another? It would be like me competing for your heart."

"There's no competition because my heart belongs to you."

Romeo pulled me to him and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and deepened the kiss.

Romeo groaned against my lips and pulled away. "We need to stop before we can't."

I giggled. We continued on our trek and talked. It was nice to have this one-on-one time with Romeo.