Grief is the final act of love

Oliver

Weddings are fun. Funerals, not so much. You lose someone and say goodbye making it final. I didn't want it to be absolute for anyone and changed it up slightly.

"Good morning, everyone. We gather today to pay our respects to a husband, father, brother, uncle, and cousin. Michael became a pivotal person in everyone's life. His love went deeper than the ocean and was infinite."

I stepped away from the podium and stood before everyone.

"We spend so much time questioning things when someone leaves their physical form. Could we have done things differently? Could we have spent more time with them when they were here? Did we do enough? Did we love enough? Will I survive this loss?"

I looked at my family and friends.

"It doesn't matter. Grief is the final act of love that you can do for someone. The person had touched your heart and soul as tears fall when they depart us. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Matthew 5:4
So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again, and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. John 16:22
The Lord witnesses your suffering and heartbreak. He wraps his arms around you and covers you in his cloak as he offers your comfort."

Tears fell as people sniffled. Aunt Lyric and Aunt Mia sobbed.

"Death is not the ending but the beginning."

Everyone lifted their heads and looked at me.

"We leave our earthly plane and transcend to our spiritual plane free of pain, harm, and restrictions. We walk amongst the living, providing an everlasting love."

I reached into the inside pocket of my suit coat, pulled out a folded piece of paper, and walked towards Matt. Matt took the paper and opened it.

"You would do it justice," I said.

Matt nodded, rose from his seat, and walked up to the podium. He lay the paper down and took a deep breath before speaking. "I presided over many funerals during my tenure. It broke my heart to watch others' hearts break. You never get used to it. Not with death. I wish I had the answers to comfort everyone, but I don't. How do you comfort a broken heart?"

Matt stopped and gathered his composure.

"But I did learn something from each passing. People that paid their respects to the person that had gone before them loved the person unconditionally. It's the final act of love we give the person as we give them a proper send-off. Your hearts are heavy—your soul aches. You're enduring unbelievable pain. But it won't last. It will ease over time. Yes, you will still miss the person, but your love will never die. It will transcend through time as love and memories replace the pain and heartache. Cherish the memories and love that you had for the person for that will carry you through your burdens. Reverend Nixon Gray."

Everyone stared at Matt as he folded the piece of paper. He handed the paper back to me.

"Keep it," I said.

Matt cocked his brow at me.

"Uncle Nixon wrote it for Aunt Kat."

Matt nodded and walked back to his seat.

"I can't tell you words to ease your grief. I can pray that one day, you'll find peace. Please join me by paying your final respects to Michael." I gestured to the casket.

People rose from their seats and made their way to the front one by one. My family walked over to me as Aunt Lyric and Aunt Mia's family paid their respects. Once everyone reached the front, the local funeral directors closed the lid. Matt, Elias, Val, Roman, Decker, Nash, and Maverick lifted the casket onto the casket bier and rolled it down the aisle way. We followed and watched as they hoisted it into the hearse.

My heart ached for Matt and his family.

*******
Matt

The funeral director closed the back of the hearse. We walked to our cars, climbed inside, and followed the hearse to the cemetery. Ma sniffled in the front seat as I drove.

It was difficult to lose our grandparents, aunts, uncles, and Sadie. Losing Dad pierced my soul. He was the glue that held the family together.

We pulled into the cemetery and drove towards the gravesite. We pulled up, stopped, and parked. I got out of the car and helped Ma out as Nora got out. We walked up to the gravesite and waited until the workers brought Dad to his final resting place with Ma's family. He would join the Harper and Gray family.

The workers arrived with Dad's casket, fitted it with chains, and lowered it into the ground. Once they lowered the coffin into the ground and removed the chains, I walked over, grabbed a handful of dirt, and sprinkled it on top. My arm dropped as tears dripped down my cheeks. Then hands touched my back. I turned around to find Ma, Nora, the boys, and the grandkids standing there.

That's when I dropped to my knees, covered my face, and wailed. My body heaved as sobs wracked it. My dad was gone.

"Oh, Matthew." Ma wrapped her arms around me.

I gripped Ma and grabbed Nora, pulling them to me as I cried. They held me until I stopped. I wiped my eyes as the boys helped me to my feet. I pulled the boys to me and hugged them. It doesn't matter how old you are. That child cries for their parent when they leave them because a piece of you goes with them.

Nora stepped in front of me and placed her hands on my face. "It's okay. He was your dad, and he was an amazing father. He had to be because he raised you."

I nodded and wrapped my arms around Nora. I held onto her as she held me back. My wife was a godsend.

*******
Elias

Mom walked to the car with Dad and Nana. Tori rubbed my back and offered me a reassuring smile. I managed a small smile. My brothers and the boys walked over to me.

"Can people stop dying?" Deacon asked.

"Like they have a choice," Nate told Deacon.

I shook my head. My brothers were something else. We walked to the cars and headed to the restaurant. Gabe had left the church to get everything ready for us.

We arrived at the restaurant, got out of the cars, and walked into the restaurant. We made our way to the banquet room. Family and friends greeted us as we entered. After saying hi, I found Mom, Dad, and Nana in the sea of people.

"Hey, booboo." Nana stood and hugged me.

"Hey, Nana." I kissed her cheek. Then I kissed Mom's cheek.

Dad gave me a look. Eh, I kissed the top of his head. Screw it. Dad chuckled.

"What a turnout? Michael would say, why is everyone making a fuss?" Nana mentioned.

"Because Dad hated people fussing over him."

"True, but people loved your dad. When we found out I was expecting you. He got so excited until I crushed his hopes and dreams."

"Why?"

"I didn't have the easiest pregnancy."

Uncle Lex walked by. "That's because you cured Micheal of wanting more kids."

"It's not like Piper was a cakewalk, you twit!" Nana got up and marched towards Uncle Lex.

Dad shook his head.

"Well, age didn't slow down, Nana," I said.

"Son, your nana is one-of-a-kind."

I snickered. "Yeah, but I'm perfect to Nana," I smirked.

"Keep telling yourself that."

I rolled my eyes as Mom giggled. Tori and I spent time with my folks. It would warm Grandpa Michael's heart to see his family gathered, even if he brought us together in death. It proved a testament to his character. There will never be another man like him. Dad is a close second.