Meeting Ryker

Romeo

Sage and I waited a few days until we visited her grandfather. I had to work up the courage to see her grandfather since the last meeting was less than stellar. I'm sure he wasn't happy with me referring to Sage as Satan's minions.

We arrived at her grandparents' house. Before I knocked, Sage flung open the front door and yelled for her grandparents.

An older woman shuffled over to the door. Sage threw her arms around the woman. I stood there like a dope.

"Grammy, I want you to meet my boyfriend." Sage hugged my arm and squeezed. "Isn't here adorable?" She placed her hand on my face, compressed it, and pushed my lips out. "Look at this face. Isn't this a face you could eat?"

My eyes shifted to Sage.

"I'm sure this young man doesn't want you to eat him," Sage's grandma said.

Sage released my face. "Oh, right."

A man walked towards us with blue eyes. Sage threw her arms around him and squealed. The man moved his arms and hugged her.

Sages bounced from the man back to me. "Grandpa, you remember Romeo. You met him at the house when we moved."

"I remember," Ryker said.

"We came to tell you both that we're dating. Isn't that great?" Sage bounced in her spot and clapped.

Ryker didn't say much. Scratch that. He said nothing.

"Hunny, why don't you help me with beverages?" Her grandma asked.

"Oh, right, because of your heart condition. Be right back." Sage followed her grandma into the kitchen.

Did you ever meet someone who unnerves you? Ryker does that and more.

"I want to apologize for what I called Sage. It was out of line. If you could not hurt me, that would be great."

Ryker squinted his eyes and tilted his head.

"You're granddaughter is amazing. So, yeah."

What do you say to someone who says nothing?

"Have you figured out your story yet?" His voice was so soft that I almost missed what he asked.

"What?"

"I asked if you figured out your story."

"I'm not sure what you mean?"

"Everyone has a story. What's yours?"

"Well, uh, I like to help people."

Ryker looked at me as I fumbled for words. I'm excellent at spouting off at the mouth with people. I can hit them with the best zingers. But this guy made speaking difficult.

"You don't know what to say to me, do you?"

His question caught me off guard.

"I insulted your granddaughter to your face, and now I'm dating her. Most guys don't dig a schmuck trying to weasel his way into a girl's life."

"Do you care about Sage?"

"Yeah, I do."

"That's what matters to me." Ryker shrugged.

I had no words.

Sage and her grandmother returned with glasses of pop. Sage handed me a drink. "So, how did it go?"

"Okay?" I shrugged.

Ryker shook his head. "Your boyfriend can't form coherent sentences."

"Did you make him nervous?" Sage asked him.