411

Romeo

After dealing with that delusional troll, we returned to the house. We threatened to superglue Marty's lips shut if he spilled the beans. My brother has a habit of flapping his gums. It's not a good look on him.

When everyone went into the house, I grabbed Sage's hand and walked away with her in tow.

"Where are we going?" Sage asked me.

"We need sustenance and to talk. I have questions, and you have answers."

Sage sighed. We arrived at the Italian restaurant where we had our first date. I figure we could relive our romantic moment and discuss the Reese situation. Okay, so Sage requested a date with me. It's the thought that counts, right?

The hostess led us to a table. Once we sat down, the server brought us bread and drinks and took our orders. We ordered the seafood pasta.

"Okay, spill," I told Sage.

"Spill what? I don't see any spill here." Sage shrugged.

"Baby, I love you. But why did Reese show up with you?" I rubbed my palms together.

"Reese wanted to take a road trip. Who knows why she does the things that she does? Does any of us understand our motives?"

"Nice avoidance. Spill." I pointed at the table.

"Ugh, fine." Sage groaned.

The server returned with our food. We dug in and ate.

"Reese had a score to settle with Blair. I texted her and told her Blair was in town."

I chewed my food and swallowed. "Okay. What did Blair do to Reece?" I shoveled pasta into my mouth.

"Blair stole Reese's crush."

I choked on my food. Sage got up and patted my back. I snatched up my pop and sipped it. Sage sat back down in her chair.

I coughed. "What?"

"I can't have a conversation with you when you're choking. That would make me inconsiderate."

I wiped my mouth and lay my clothes napkin on the table. "I'm done choking. What do you mean that Blair stole Reese's crush?"

"Reese had a massive crush on Rafe. When she found out that Rafe was dating Blair, it pissed her off." Sage took a bite of food.

"If Reese had a crush on Rafe, why is she dating Liam?" I twirled pasta around my fork and shoved it into my mouth.

"Because Liam made a move whereas Rafe didn't."

"Wait. Reese accepted a chance with Liam because my brother couldn't get his ass in gear?"

"It's not like Rafe showed Reese any interest." Sage shrugged.

"Because Rafe isn't into grand gestures."

"Huh?"

Rafe isn't flashy with attention. If you have noticed, my brother makes a snarky remark over being lovey-dovey. It took much convincing from Blair for Rafe to date her."

"Why? The troll puts herself on display. Blair is like mayo. People spread both."

I chuckled because Sage wasn't wrong.

"Does it matter? Reese is dating Liam, and Rafe is dating Kate."

"It does if you're not happy."

"Are you happy with me?"

"More than you know."

Sage gave me a toothy grin. People need to remember that we didn't jump into a relationship. Ours took time. We spent more time bickering than making a love connection. Ah, the good old days.