The Warrant

We were all hanging out at Heywards after the events of last night. To recap, JJ, Pope, Kie and I got in a huge fight with Rafe and Kelce at the drive-in that resulted in the screen going up in flames.

We were talking about meaningless stuff just trying to keep our minds clear. I was still across from Pope and Kiara in JJ's lap. I hadn't really said anything to him because I was still mad that he let Pope sink Toppers boat. Whether they thought they were in the clear or not, some bad was bound to happen.

I just didn't think it would happen so soon.

I saw Pope's dad walking toward us, worry plastered on his face.

"Hey, Pope, someone here to see you." Heyward said. I shuffled in JJ's lap standing up to see who it was.

Shit a cop.

"Evening, Officer." Pope said, trying to hide the fear in his voice.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property." Shoupe explained. This was no going to end well

"What?" Heyward questioned

"Hands where I can see 'em." The deputy made his way over to Pope. As Kiara stepped in the way.

"Young lady, out of my way." The deputy continued toward my best friend

"Whoa. Shoupe, what'd he do?" Heyward questioned once more

"Look at the warrant." Shoupe said, handing Pope's dad the warrant.

"You're arresting him?" I asked concern laced in my voice, JJ grabbed a hold of my hand for comfort, but it wasn't working

The deputy put Pope's hands behind his back, as Shoupe continued to argue with Kiara and Heyward. I was sure that nothing worse could happen, but I was wrong.

Suddenly JJ's hand left mine and he walked toward the cops.

"It wasn't him!" JJ exclaimed, raising his hand in the air. "It was me."

I felt my heart drop. This was the moment that I had feared the most. JJ always said that one day he would end up in jail like his dad, and everytime I would tell him that he was going to be fine. But now, he was putting himself in this situation and there was nothing I could do.

"He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit." JJ said, trying to make it sound like this was all him. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes.

"I can't let you take the blame for somethin' I did. You've got too much to lose." JJ finished as he turned to Pope.

I wanted him so badly to look at me, maybe that would stop him. I wanted to say something but I stood there paralyzed.

"JJ, what are you doing?" Pope asked concerned

"I'm tellin' the truth. For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth." JJ let out with a long breath, he turned back to Shoupe "I took his old man's boat, too."

"What the hell?" Heyward exclaimed

"JJ, come on." Pope said again, he didn't want this to happen

"Just shut up, Pope!" JJ yelled in his best friend's direction, still avoiding my gaze. "Just shut up. He's a good kid. You know where I'm from."

"Yeah." Shoupe said unsure

"This was all me." JJ said reassuring the officer

"That's the whole truth?" Shoupe questioned toward Pope. He knew it wasn't but what could he do, JJ was confessing

"Whole truth, swear to God." JJ said again.

"I know what you think, damn it, I'm asking Pope." Shoupe looked deep into Pope's eyes, I was hoping that he would just spill and JJ would be okay, but that is not what happened.

"Yeah, that about covers it." Pope said unsure.

"Okay then" Shoupe said, turning JJ around and placing the handcuffs on him.

I was still standing there, speechless. As shoupe went to take JJ away, I ran from my spot and started to grab onto JJ's back.

"No stop, please. You can't take him okay" Shoupe just pushed forward trying to get him to release him. But I wasn't budging.

"Deputy get her out of here" I hear shoupe say as the other cop pried my hands from JJ. I started to fight thats when JJ got visibly angry.

"Hey hey let her go" He said as he started to fight back.

Suddenly the other cop set me down, tears still streaming from my face.

"At least let me say goodbye" I sobbed, shoupe nodded and released JJ so I could get to him.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and continued to cry, whispering in his ear not to leave me.

He pulled away and put his forehead on mine, I could see the tear falling from his face. He was as broken as me.

"Everything is going to be okay" He whispered, placing a small kiss on my cheek.

Just as I was going to kiss him, Shoupe pulled him toward that car.

This time I didn't follow, I stood there once more tears falling from my face, the last thing I heard JJ say before he was put in the car was

"I love you"

As soon as he was out of sight I broke down, luckily my friends were there to catch me. Kiara just let me sob into her chest, she knew how scared I was by this moment.

As my sobs slowed she picked up my face and wiped the tears from my eyes. I looked up at her and she just hugged me once more, telling me that things were going to be okay.

For a second I believed her, but it wouldn't be the truth until I had him in my arms again.

(956 words)