--------------------------------------------------

The kickback had been going on for a couple of hours by now. There were about 15-20 people scattered around in the backyard. Most of us were sitting around the fire that John B and Pope had built. I was sitting next to JJ, but he got up a little while ago to go chat up some girl that had joined in. Soon after he got up, Kie came to sit by me. She could tell that I was a bit down.

We all sat around the fire for a bit longer, I could feel my eyes fixated on JJ and the blonde girl he had befriended. They were sitting directly across from me, and the girl kept inching closer to JJ. God I just wished that I was the one he was flirting with. They were laughing and he kept moving his hand up her leg. I hadn't even noticed that Kie had gotten up.

I was snapped out of my daze when Kie started yelling for everyone to come around the fire. She was motioning for everyone to gather around and she made her way back to me. She handed me my guitar. I was confused at first but then I realized what she was trying to do.

"Ladies and Gentleman, my friend here would like to play y'all her newest song!" Kie said, excitement laced in her voice.

"What kie, no. no. I can't do this" I whispered to Kie, trying to give her my guitar back.

"Come on y/n. You can do this." She said with a smile.

"No I.." before I could continue to plead my case I heard my brother.

"Yeah, come on sis. Let's hear it"

I looked up and everyone was staring at me. Just waiting. I looked over to JJ, just to see if he was interested. But he was still just gaucking over the girl next to him. It almost made me more comfortable. Maybe he wouldn't pay any attention. I could play my song and be done.

I took a deep breath and started to strum the strings of my guitar. I quickly found the melody and began to sing the words that meant so much to me.

Oh, I'm obsessed

With the way your head is layin' on my chest

How you love the things I hate about myself

That no one knows, but with you, I see hope again

JJ truly was the only one who saw me for who I was. He was my best friend. I always hoped he felt the same. I kept my focus on the ground. I didn't want to see everyone else's reaction, especially JJ.

Oh, I'm a mess

When I overthink the little things in my head

You seem to always help me catch my breath

But then I lose it again

When I look at you, that's the end

I could feel my gaze slowly start to rise. Again my eyes found their way to him. This time they didn't fall. I started to gain a little confidence in my singing. Everyone seemed to be enjoying my song, so I kept going.

And why do I get so nervous when I look into your eyes?

Butterflies can't stop me fallin' for you

And darlin', this is more than anything I felt before

You're everything that I want, but I didn't think I'd find

Someone who is worth the wait of all the years of my heartbreak

But I know now I found the one I love

Finally his eyes met mine. As if the last line had triggered some response in him. I couldn't stop now, so I just kept singing.

And why do I get so nervous when I look into your eyes?