Another Field Trip Story... Twist

Song of the Chapter is.. Human by Christina Perri

Notice!! I am not deaf, nor do I have much experience with deaf people. I have done some research while on vacation and I do not intend to offend anyone who is deaf. Please, feel free to enlighten me on anything that is different in real life and also keep in mind I have changed some things in order to go with the fictional storyline I have created. Thank you for reading and hopefully you enjoy the one shot below. Requested by iamKhrfan123

Let me start this introduction off by asking all of you readers a question; are you or someone you know deaf? Maybe they have problems hearing? Well, if you've answered yes to either then maybe some of you would understand the struggles I go through in everyday life. Being deaf makes life difficult and with the bullies at my school, my life became hell. If it weren't for my best friends, I think I'd be dead or close to it. I'm sorry, how rude of me to tell you all this without you even knowing my name. 

I'm Peter Benjamin Parker and I was born deaf. Through the years I've learned to lip read thanks to my aunt May who is my legal guardian. My parents died when I was younger in a plane crash and I was left in the care of my Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Uncle Ben was the one to teach me sign language from age 4 to the age of 10, when he died from a carjacking. He was taking me to the store and waited in the car as I got what I needed. By the time I got out of the store, Ben was laying on the ground and bleeding out. 

Once Ben died, it was only May and I. My aunt and uncle were always poor, barely scraping through on Uncle Ben's salary as a janitor. May went to school to become a nurse once Ben died and though money was tight, we managed to survive. Now she was a full time nurse, but we were still low middle class and it didn't help that rent on our apartment was raised by $500. Of course, I still had decent clothing and okay shoes. I know that I'm part of the reason we were so poor and because of that, I try not to ask May for things that aren't essential. 

Today was no different from any other and I woke up to my phone buzzing wildly, my alarm sound falling to deaf ears; literally. After getting dressed and ready for school, I made my way to the kitchen. May was already at work, if she even came home last night and I checked all the cabinets for food. My stomach growled when I saw we had next to nothing and with slight disappointment, I left the apartment with an empty stomach. On my way to school, I ran into MJ in the literal sense as I was running away from a dog that broke free from a chain. I had no clue if he was still following me and as I turned my head to check, I tripped. 

"Thanks for crashing into me, loser." MJ spoke, but she also signed the words knowing that lip readings are only 30% accurate to even the best and I sheepishly rubbed the back of my neck. I signed back an apology and helped her up, continuing to school. 

^^^^^^^^ I Hope This Is Okay So Far… ^^^^^^

After MJ and I arrived at school, we met up with Ned. He greeted me with a wave and handed me a breakfast sandwich from Dom's Deli. MJ and Ned knew about my financial situation and though I've told them not to, they give me things all the time; food, money, clothes, etc. I stopped fighting the offerings and now just accept them with a grateful smile. I finished the sandwich quickly, hoping to get through the day quickly and wanting to go back to bed. 

"Did you hear about our field trip today?" Ned signed as we made our way to first period with MJ and I raised an eyebrow, shaking my head. 

I've been absent for almost a week and unfortunately, it wasn't because of anything cool like being a secret superhero. Remember when I mentioned my life being hell because of bullies at school? Well, the blonde jock known as Flash Thompson was angrier than usual and when he beat me, I could barely move. Because we're so poor, May can't afford a walking dog for me and was left walking around with no sound on my own. The school didn't have enough staff for someone to be assigned to me and because this educational building is so horrible with teachers, no one cared enough to watch out for the physically impaired. For these reasons, he is always able to sneak up on me and assault me before I realize he's there.