- 100k [1]

-

-

being 18 and moving to a whole other country was in fact a big move. especially a giant country that was predominantly asian, more homogeneous than motley. it scared you to say the least, mostly thinking about the fact that you'd be looked at as more different than anyone else.

"hello." you look at the man as he took your ticket in his hand, looking down at it typing something on his computer and handing it back to you with a small bow.

it was all to soon when you were being shuffled into the airport of seoul. south koreans going about their day with their suitcase nearly tied to their hands. you seen about five foreigners hopping off of the plane along with you but then again you didn't expect for any to be behind you.

especially being black, the fact that it was 2015 and a lot of foreigners on youtube expressed how badly they were treated here made you caution at some point —— but in the end everyone had their own experiences.

so you thought why not?

things weren't so good back at home, so that's what led you to leaving. you had gotten your degree so early, so why not use it?

your eyes flick up once you hear a loud ding, not too long before someone's voice was coming over the intercom. you hadn't learned a lot of korean which you felt was the biggest mistake, so when the lady spoke you only understood about three words.

"excuse me." you eyebrows turn up when you see a lighter lady beside you.

"yes? hi!" the girl is smiling brightly. she clearly was korean but she spoke in english seeing that you might now know the language.

"do you know what she just said?"

the girl tilts her head and the realizes, "ah she was saying that flight 0776 bags are at carousel six." the girl looks in a rush and you feel bad for keeping her.

"ah okay." you look at her. "thanks." you give her a small nod, when you're about to turn on your heels and turn around a hand is on your shoulder making you holt.

"do you need help here?"

"here?"

"as in korea." she finishes the sentence before you.

"i just know a bit of korean, i'll be taking a class soon —— but i wouldn't mind getting help to my —— uh house." you move your shoulder a bit so her hand falls. "you're from here?"

"of course i am." the girl begins to walk and you unconsciously walk behind her towards the carousel. "i'm yuri by the way."

ah, cute name.

"i'm y/n."

"that's a cool name." the lighter skinned girl smiles at you. "i think we'll be good friends y/n."

•••

not so surprisingly you had gotten the girls number. she was nice and fun, and plus she spoke english. for some reason you felt as if you'd be bestfriends sooner or later, she was good company.

you were now in the small apartment that the teacher program had provided you. it wasn't much but, it was something for now. it was only you anyways, and plus you didn't come to korea to add onto your only one but if it happened you wouldn't mind.

seoul wasn't as different as you thought it would be — just more stares than you got then being back in new york. it didn't bother you; you just knew that some people were curious.

it was only a day and you found yourself in a small quiet cafe down in jongno-gu. sitting up in the small apartment made you feel too claustrophobic... you had to get up and go somewhere.

"would you like anything else?" the man came to your table, his apron sitting low in his front.

"i'm okay." you spoke. you watch as the man walks away and your eyes lead you back to your laptop. you quickly go through all of the class steps that you needed before beginning your english teaching role next week.

they had you take a korean class for the words and phrases that you had yet to understand, so yes you had time but everything was down except for the hard translations.

"dowa jebal." you sound the word out and tilt your head when it doesn't sound right. "jaybaal?"

"it'd be juseyo." a voice behind you interrupts you and you find yourself turning around to see who it was. "it'd be juseyo because jebal is particularly like you're begging."

"which is more polite, formal?" you asked, appreciating the help — the boy looked familiar as if you had seen him before. he had burnt orange hair, and his pink full lips made his face small. he was handsome but also cute.

"juseyo is more polite." he smiles at you. "like if i say, would you please go on a date with me?"

"huh?"

he sees your face and the boys ears grow a small shade of pink. "jebal."

jebal means to beg, was he begging?

"you're asking me for a date?" you were turned around in your seat talking to the boy, and actually understanding what he was saying made you giddy.

"kind of begging." he gives a nonchalant shrug.

"well yes." you look him up and down from his grunge dark rooted orange colored hair down to his black combat boots. "i'm y/n."

"i'm jimin." the boys dimples show when he smiles.