Part 36

I woke up due to the constant ringing of the alarm. Its so annoying!
Ted gifted me this in my graduation day and I haven't used it till today.

It's 8 AM in the morning. And my flight is on 1 PM. Riley said Emmy's operation will start at 10. So I decided to go at the hospital in 9. And I will go to the airport directly from the hospital. The airport is far away from the city.

I looked at the empty side of the bed. Riley must have gone now. I miss his presence. I pulled my lazy self from bed and found a note beside my bed.

Alaska,
Don't be late. Have your breakfast. I am at the hospital. Come quick.

P.S- It's cold. Don't forget to put on jackets.
-Riley

This man never forget his duties. I let a deep yawn out and went to the shower. I quickly finished and dressed in white shirt dress. I think I look good.

Bertha, the weird woman served me breakfast. And I completed it quickly. I dressed in an ash top with a blue jeans. And took my bags to set off for Australia, but Emmy first.

Oli is driving today. And I am gazing the as usual view of the road. It has started to snow already and the environment became so so quiet.

In a few minutes, I came out of the car. Oli said he is coming after parking the car but I denied him. I am not a baby girl.

I went inside the hospital and turned to the elevator. It opened and I can't say its empty because it is containing a little piece of muscle.

A boy with big eyes, pink cheeks, brown hair, dressed in a black jumper and a full pant is looking at me curiously amongst his messy brown hairs. I looked at the boy after entering into the elevator. He is not more than 3-4 years. He is so cute and mesmerizing. It looks like he is God's own child.

He looked at me curiously as if I am his piece of toy. I looked at smiled at him. He smiled at me too. His pink cheeks turned pinker. He is so sweet.

"Can you tell me where my daddy is?" he asked me in an innocent way
"Is he admitted here?"
He nodded cutely.
"Where he is?"
"I am asking you"
"Do you know anything about your father?"
"He is in this hospital"
"What's your father's name?"
"Father" he answered innocently and I smiled
"Where's your mother?"
"Here"
"And her name? Mother?"
"Correct"

The boy is raw at pronunciation but its feels odd to see this kid alone. And he is finding his father but it seems he only knows that his father is admitted here and nothing else.

He started again
"I have been finding my father since long. I went every floor but he is not there"
"Where do you live?"
"School hostel"
"Don't you live with your parents?"
"No"
"Then how did you came here?"
"I called mom last night. She said she can't take me home in Christmas. But I requested Mr.Young to take me here. I wanted to be with them in Christmas"
"Who's Mr. Young?"
"My Maths teacher"
"Where is he?"
"He went his home after taking me here"
I looked at this cute boy. It's really unlikley for kids to stay in hostel at this age. This toddler can't even talk properly.

"Okay, come with me. I will help you to find your father"
"Fine"

The elevator opened and he held my fingers with his tiny hands. I clutched tightly and started to walk through the corridor.
"You haven’t said your name yet"
"Mom said don't say your name to strangers"

I chuckled at his smartness.
"Is that so? But, I posses no harm to you"
"Do you have any proof about that?"
This kid is super smart!
"I am helping to find your father. If I possessed any harm, I wouldn’t help you"
"Fine. My name is Stem. What's yours one?"
"Alaska Reed"
"Alas ka leed?"
"No"
"Al ask a liddle?" he looked at me with naughty eyes. He is playing with me.
"It's Al-as-ka Re-ed"
"Al kas ka-" he tried to pronounce properly
"You can call me Alis"
"Alis seems right"
I came near Emmy's corridor.

So, I turned around Stem, bowed down and told
"Wait here for a minute. I will go and come early. Then, I will help you to find your father. Don't go anywhere"
"Okay. But can I come with you?"
"Yes you can. But why do you wanna come?"
"I wanna see how your father looks"
I chuckled
"I am not here to see my father. I have an old friend here"
"Aren’t there all fathers?" he asked cutely
"No"
"Okay, I wanna see you friend"
"Fine" I smiled and walked near the door.

I catched the doorknobs and opened the door. Emmy is lying in bed. He hasn’t been taken to theatre now. Stacy and Riley is sitting beside him. All of them transferred their eyes from me to Stem. And I opened my voice
"Guys, this is Stem. I am helping him to find this father and-"
I stopped hearing Stem's sceam
"Dad" the little boy jumped and ran towards Emmy and hugged him.

What? Dad? I looked at them in surprise. How can Emmy be Stem's dad? What about Stacy? This can't be possible. Am I dreaming? But no, Emmy is hugging him too. A thousand of questions started to fly in my mind. What's happening here?

Stem came near Stacy and hugged her addressing her as mom. I can clearly notice tears in her eyes. I looked at Riley who looks unprepared and looked at my eyes in helplessness. They didn’t even told me that they had a baby. I screamed
"So that is it? Stem is their child but you guys never told me that? Why?"
Stacy said
"Look Alaska, I can explain. Give us time"
"I don’t wanna hear any explanation"

I backed through the door and slammed the door hardly. I started walking through the door. I heard the door opened again and a hand stopped me from behind. Its Riley.

"What?" I jerked off his hand.
"Sorry about that. We all wanted to tell you"
"What has stopped you?"
"We just needed time to figure it out. We were not sure how you were going to react"
"It's their baby. I wouldn’t say anything if you had told me about Stem earlier. I am ashamed. You guys don't even count me"
"Alis, it's not like that"
"It is like that. You never thought me family. And I was dumb enough to understand it"
"I am sorry. I was going to tell you about him"
"It's been 7 months since you know me but you got so less time to tell me. It's okay Riley"

He looked at me with helplessness in his eyes. I ain't gonna forgive him. I wouldn’t react if I get to knew about Stem earlier. I remember the day, I walked into the photographic room and I saw a baby in Stacy's arm. Stacy said that it was Stem. And she told me that his identification is none of my business. She could have told me that day. But she remained silent.

Hearing no reply from Riley, I started walking towards the elevator. He called me by my name many times but I have no interest to hear his side. They are all secret keepers. Let them be what they are!

"Alis" Stem's cute voice called from the corrider. I looked behind and he came running to me. For the first time, I tried to match his face with his parents. He looks more like Stacy than Emmy. He only got the hair of Emmy.
"Yes?" I tried to appear decent to him. Of course, it isn’t his fault. Riley is looking at me curiously. I ignored him.
"I thank you"
I smiled at him and bowed down
"Stem, it's not I thank you. It's just thank you"
"Thank you"
"Welcome"
"It's for you. You helped me to find my father" he handed me a couple of toffees
"I don't eat toffees. You can keep it back"
"You bow down to talk to me. No one does that. Not even him" he pointed at Riley
I chuckled
"Okay, I will tell them to bow down for you"
"Fine" he grinned and I can see his half developed teeth.
He is really cute. I kissed him on his cheek and started walking.

Before closing the door of elevator, I saw a glance of Stem waving me, Riley is holding his tiny hands and looking at me in remorseful eyes.

(Hey guys, how are you all? What about your mental health? Did you loved Stem? He can steal your heart. Beaware of that. Haha.
#RileyAlaska)