CHAPTER 61

JENNIE POV

It's been 2 weeks since this 5th semester has started, our 3rd year at the university, and soon Lisa's birthday. I certainly have to give the best present for him. I don't know what to give because he can buy everything he wants after all. But I know Lisa, especially now that I know his family background and remember how after years he still wears the watch I gave him on his birthday at our High School times before I gave him a new one. He's a person who really appreciates effort over price. So whatever I will give, he will definitely accept it with pleasure and appreciate it. But I want to give something memorable to him. I've asked for advice from Jisoo, Rosie, Irene, and even Seulgi, but as I thought, they said whatever I give, Lisa will definitely be very happy.

After asking for advice and considering it, and walking down the mall for days looking for inspiration, I finally decided to give him something special. I asked my best friend to accompany me to find a present for Lisa while he was at the office. Even though he hasn't graduated, he has always helped daddy Marco, as well as, studying, especially after he was released from house arrest in Japan. He was involved in several things, although not completely. So, even now he occasionally goes to the Manoban Group office for 1 to 3 hours to do something. Daddy Marco himself was also not directly involved in operations because each branch of the Manoban Group was represented by trusted people, so he and Lisa only received reports from them. Unless there is something essential that requires them to be directly involved.

I am satisfied with the gift I have chosen and can't wait to give it to him. Apart from the gifts, I also prepare a party, or rather dinner to celebrate his birthday with our best friends. Of course, they help me. From the place, the decoration, and so on. Because of their help, my plan for it was ready 3 days before his birthday.

I told him we were having dinner together to celebrate his birthday tomorrow. He did not know that our friends and family would be waiting for him there and surprise him.

*beep*

My cellphone vibrated while I was watching a movie in my room. After today's lecture, Lisa drove me home before he went to the Manoban Group office. When he's done, he'll come here for dinner, or sometimes we'll go out to eat.

I took my cellphone and saw an incoming message from Irene.

From: Irene

Jennie, we have a problem. The decoration is broken. Come here quickly

My brows furrowed at the message from Irene. Oh no. Lisa's birthday is tomorrow and now there's a problem.

To: Irene

How big is the damage?

I immediately reply Irene's message and my heart skipped a beat. I hope this still has time.

From: Irene

Severe. Come here soon!

Irene's quick reply made me panic. No, No, No...

I rushed to my walk-in closet to change my casual clothes at home with a shirt and jeans. I didn't have time to get dressed and came out right away.

"Jennie? Where are you going?" I was shocked when I saw Mr Yang at the front door. When I'm at home, he's always here. Either hanging around the yard or somewhere. He lives nearby by himself, not at my house because he doesn't want to, for my privacy anyway. Remember, at first, I refused to have a personal bodyguard. But because of Lisa, I accepted it. And Lisa is very understanding, he asked Mr Yang to escort me but still gave me space. So, often I didn't even notice Mr Yang's presence.

"Oh. There is an urgent matter that I have to deal with," I replied as I walked to the car. I plan to drive myself.

"What is the problem?" asked Mr Yang, who followed behind.

"Irene sent a message, she said some decoration for tomorrow is broken," I replied while still walking. Of course, Mr Yang knows tomorrow's plans because he always follows me after all.

"Okay. Where is your keys?" asked Mr Yang, holding out his hand.

I did not reject him and immediately gave my key because sometimes Mr Yang was the driver if I needed it. But rarely, because I hang out with Lisa more, or with my best friend.

Once I got to my car, I didn't wait for the door to be opened and immediately got into the passenger seat at the back. Once inside and put on the seat belt, Mr Yang immediately started the car.

"Where?" he asked.

I gave the address where our surprise event will be held tomorrow and Mr Yang immediately hit the gas, and we went off. I sent a message to Lisa telling him that I was going with Irene then I tried calling Irene, but she didn't pick up. It seemed like the problem was so big that she didn't have time to pick up my call. I didn't say much on the way and simply stared at the road ahead, praying that the damage would be resolved today.

Mr Yang picked up speed on the highway, he must have felt how panicked I was, worried, and wanted to arrive soon. My mind was so distracted by thinking about the possible damage that I didn't notice the change in Mr Yang's face, who frowned while looking at the rearview mirror until 2 vans quickly passed next to our car and suddenly stopped in front of us. Forcing Mr Yang to sudden brakes to avoid the crash. But because our speed was high enough, the collision was inevitable.

My front car hit the back of the van. I was shocked, and my neck and chest hurt a little from the seat belt. Before Mr Yang could ask about my condition, the person in the black van came out and looked angry checking at the back of his car, which was dented and came to us. He knocked on Mr Yang's window.

Mr Yang rolled down the windows and was greeted by the man's anger. Mr Yang got out of the car and followed the man to see the damage from this accident. And I was surprised because suddenly, when Mr Yang saw the condition of our car, other people ran from behind my car towards Mr Yang and hit his head with a baseball bat. Mr Yang fell right away. I covered my mouth with both of my hands, and before I could move to lock the car door, one of the people had opened the door where I was sitting and clasped my mouth with a cloth.

I smelled something sharp from the cloth, and the next second, all turn dark.