Chapter 73

Warning: Light Mentions of depression.

Hyun Ah exited the public house with a content sigh, holding a pouch of coins. She had just finished her second shift and she was absolutely exhausted. She had taken extra shifts since there was no training as the prince was at war and the public houses needed more hands.
On her way home, she saw a small stand that was selling cheap jewelry and stopped in front of it. There were cute purple earrings that caught her eye.
She opened the pouch and pulled out a few coins deciding to indulge as she had just received the end of the month payment.

"These red ones would look much better on you," the man in front of her commented.
"They match your hair."
"Oh they're not for me, but my sister," she remarked. The man nodded and handed her the earrings after she paid.

The sun had already set by the time she arrived home and when she entered, it was completely dark. She could make out that the house was a little messy as the couch table was turned and the chairs for the dining table were all over the place.

"HA YEON," she spoke loudly so her sister could hear. Usually the beta would hum or clap as a response when she heard but there was no reply. Hyun Ah walked towards her bed and gasped when she saw her sister on the ground. It seemed she had fallen while trying to move from her wheelchair to her bed.

"HA YEON!" She tapped the girl again but there was no response. She became frantic and quickly checked her pulse and felt her head to see if she had a fever but it wasn't warm to the touch. She picked up her sister and ran for the medical shelter.
When she arrived, the place was crowded with soldiers that were hurt during battle and the medics seemed all too preoccupied.

An assistant who was running back and forth stopped for a second to check on the woman.

"She'll be fine," the assistant said before running back the way he came.
Hyun Ah was still worried. Something similar to this had happened a while back and she couldn't risk it. She couldn't loose her last family member. She decided to go to the medical center at the castle.

The center had a lot of people as well but they didn't mind and accepted more people. After waiting for almost an hour, a doctor came back to report to her.

"There doesn't seem to be anything wrong. Her body is just tired," the doctor informed her.
"Are you sure? She's disabled waist down so she doesn't walk and there isn't really any strenuous activity for her to do."
"We're not sure but her heartbeat is soft and she seems frail. Maybe she's just stressed. But other than that she's fine."

Hyun Ah nodded and sat back on the bench.
"You can go inside if you want," the doctor told her. The alpha stood up at that and went inside. Ha Yeon was laid on the bed, her eyebrows furrowed in discomfort. Hyun Ah held her hand and held it to her head.

She prayed nothing was wrong with her sister and hoped she'd wake up soon.

Many people assumed 'depression' only occurred to someone who lost a mate they had eternally bonded with but that was not the case. Loosing anything important and not taking time to heal and get through it, could easily result in depression.

Ha Yeon lost her hearing, then her a mother a few years later and her legs right after that. But life was hard, and Hyun Ah had to work to be able to provide for them. It'd make perfect sense if her sister was depressed. She probably would be too if she was in her situation.
The alpha felt guilty. She felt it was her fault for not being there to help her sister heal properly.

She sniffled and squeezed the beta's hand. There was a knock on the door but before the alpha could even compose herself to reply, the omega walked in. There was a look of worry on his face and when he saw the beta on the bed, he understood it to be Hyun Ah's sister.