Chapter 66

Today was one of those days. The sun was so bright that even it's rays seeped through the curtains and brightened the dark room.

In the corner of the room, near the bleak window, sat a young beta in a wheelchair. Her brown hair was tied into a messy bun and she was folding clothes. She had been stuck in bed for the past few days feeling a little depressed. It wasn't easy taking care of herself, but she didn't want to bother her older sister who had been tirelessly working different jobs.

She wanted to have the house cleaned before her sister came back but her plan had failed as the door swung open.

"Why is it so dark in here?" Hyun Ah asked as she closed the door. She saw her sister folding some clothes and walked towards her to open the curtains. The beta was surprised to see her sister and her eyes immediately shut close when the bright sun hit her face.

Ah! My eyes! Ugh. Here she goes again.

"Oh sorry about that," Hyun Ah apologized when she saw her sister struggle to open her eyes again.
Once she managed to open them, she noticed the groceries in her sister's hand.

What did she buy this time? I'm sure working at a public house doesn't pay enough.

"Ha Yeon!" The older alpha scolded her younger sister. The girl extended her palm outward and shrugged her shoulders.

'I heard that.'
'Heard what?' Ha Yeon signed back.
Hyun Ah thought for a moment. How did she hear that? Ha Yeon was hard of hearing and rarely spoke.

'You asked me what I bought this time?' She signed. 
'I didn't speak. I can't anymore.' Ha Yeon rolled her eyes. She wondered how her sister had heard that.

'Yes you can. You just don't want to,' Hyun Ah responded curtly before picking up the groceries and walking to the kitchen.

It's been 8 years since Ha Yeon had gone deaf. It was mostly genetic as her grandfather was deaf as well but it wasn't too bad. She could still hear loud noises though they often did sound muffled, but as long as the person spoke loud and clearly, she could usually make out what was said.
Sign language was not a hard concept as they all understood it thanks to their mother who was mute. She had passed away a few years after Ha Yeon had become deaf, when she was only 18.
Their father was broken and spiraled into a fit of rage from loosing his mate. He teared the whole house apart in his drunken state and smashed a wooden table onto his daughter, breaking her legs in the process.

Since then, Hyun Ah has been working to provide for her and her sister. She usually worked night but now that Ha Yeon was doing better, she worked more during the day.

When they were done eating, Hyun Ah packed their plates to wash them and Ha Yeon went to put away the clothes she had folded. She propelled herself forward using the crank at the sides of the chair. When she reached the bed to pick up the clothes, Hyun Ah grabbed them and went to put them in their place.

I could have done it myself. She thought, glaring at her sister from behind.

'I thought you could use some help,' Hyun Ah signed.
'I've been doing it by myself since you've been gone. Don't you have work?' She questioned.

Hyun Ah always left her alone to go work and she didn't hate her for it knowing she had to make money. What she didn't like was the way the alpha always felt the need to help her as if she wasn't just fine by herself the whole time her sister was gone.