Matt Duchene

"Baby, are you sure you'll be okay?" Matt asks me for at least the tenth time.

"Yes. I told you, I'll be fine." I reassure him as he picks up his bag and gets ready to leave our hotel room. Matt has the amazing opportunity to play in the Olympics and I would not want to be the cause of keeping him away from his dream.

I'm currently 9 months pregnant with his baby. We decided to wait to find out the gender until the day he or she is born, so we are very anxious to find out. I told Matt that I'm going to be due any day now, but he refused to leave me back in Colorado. To be honest, I'm extremely nervous to be left alone. This is my first child as well as Matt's and I don't know what to expect. But I definitely wouldn't let Matt know that. It would worry him too much and he needs to focus tonight.

"If you need anything just make sure you call me. Coach is holding onto my phone during the game, okay?" He tells me and I laugh.

"Sounds good." I say and he leans down and kisses me.

"I'll be home before you know it. I love you, (Y/N)." He says.

"I love you too." I say and watch him walk out the door.

*Three Hours Later*

Second period just started and team Canada already has a breakaway. I hear the excitement from the announcers voice and I look up from my phone. When I look up, I see my husband score his second goal for tonight and team Canada is now up 4-2.

I cheer with my best friend, but before we can see a replay of the goal, I get a massive pain in my stomach.

"Oh my gosh." I say before I notice that my water broke.

I look up at my friend in pure shock.

"It's okay, (Y/N)! I'll get your shoes and coat and we'll get you to the hospital as soon as possible."

We rush to the car and drive to the hospital, my friend freaking out as she dials Matt's number off of my phone.

She explains what happened as we pull into a parking spot. I get placed into a room and before I know it I'm already being told to push.

"Matt's on his way, okay?" My friend tells me as I scream out in pain.

About 20 minutes later, Matt rushes into the room, sits down and grabs my hand.

"It's gonna be okay, I'm here now." He assures me and kisses me on the forehead.

Another hour or so of extreme pain, Matt and I get to hear our baby's first cry.

"It's a girl." The nurse says and wraps her in a blanket as she places her in my arms.

Matt leans over my shoulder and admires her.

"She's perfect. Just like her mother." He says and kisses me.

The nurse comes back into the room.
"Do you have a name in mind for this lovely little girl?" She asks us.

"Charlotte Rose Duchene."