Patrick Kane

"Jonathan, you know we've both moved on." I take a drink from my water bottle as I stand in my best friends kitchen. He doesn't say anything, so I decide to keep talking. "What we had was great, but things just didn't end well between us." I sigh.

Jonathan has been trying to get Patrick and I back together. What he doesn't understand is that I'm seeing someone, and even Patrick is seeing someone, too. Just because he's going out with another girl doesn't mean that I don't ever think about him, but we just don't talk like we used to. There's dead space between us and I don't know if we will ever be able to make that go away.

"As someone that isn't directly involved, I can definitely say that you two haven't moved on at all." He looks at me straight in the eyes, showing me that he knows what has been going on in my brain. "You two are my best friends. You two love each other. I just want you guys to know that."

My eyes wander around the room as I think of what to say. Do I break down and spill to Jonathan that all I ever do is think about him? Or do I play it cool and try to convince him that I've moved on?

•Patrick's POV•

"Stop with this, man." I roll my eyes and take a drink of water, trying to cool myself down after the long run I just took with Jonathan.

"Stop with what?" He furrows his eyebrows and bends over, trying to catch his breath. I know what he's up to... Just his usual questions about (Y/N) and I.

"You know that (Y/N) and I aren't interested in each other anymore." I squint at the bright sun shining in my face. "I'm dating someone new and I want to see where that goes."

"That's complete crap. I know you still love (Y/N)." We start to walk back from the trail.

"She means a lot to me, but I wouldn't say that I'm in love with her." I say, still trying to catch my breath from the run. I hope I didn't give myself away. If Jonathan finds out that I still think about her every day, then he'll make sure to push me in the same room as her. I just know that she isn't into me anymore. She's with someone else now.

•(Y/N)'s POV•

"You're throwing a party? When?" I ask Jonathan.

"Tonight." He says. "It starts at 7. Don't be late." I hear the phone beep and I look to see that he hung up.

A party at such short notice isn't normal for Jonathan. I don't remember him ever throwing a party in less than a week in advance, but I'll go. It'll be good to see some of my friends after so long.

Time passes by quickly and before I know it, I'm already making my way to Jonathan's. I ring the bell and he answers, and surprisingly, I'm the first one there.

"Wow, Jon, I think you've lost all of your friends." I laugh at him, and he just shakes his head and tells me to get the door for anyone who arrives next as he runs upstairs to change.

I stand there for a few minutes, playing on my phone, before the bell rings. I walk over to the door and open it, expecting to see some of my friends, but I only see one face I wasn't expecting to see.

"Oh," I stare into his eyes. It feels like its been a lifetime ever since I'd done that. "Hi, Patrick."

He looked just as equally shocked to see me. "Hey, (Y/N)." I just stare at him in disbelief. I didn't think that I would see him here, but that was the wrong thing to think since he's friends with Jonathan, too.

I open the door and he walks in hesitantly. "So, uh..." I say. "How are you?"

His hand goes to the back of his neck as he starts rubbing it. It's a nervous habit of his.

"I'm-I'm good." He says.

"Just good?" I ask, leaning over the counter to look at him. He looks at me uncomfortably, as to why I would ask him that question. "Crap. I'm sorry, I don't really do well with these things."

He laughs. His laughter always made me smile, and it still makes me smile to this day. His perfect teeth showing as he scrunches his nose could not make me any more happier than to just see him again.

"How's Tyler?" He blurts out. That's my boyfriend's name. Of course he knew my boyfriend's name. Jonathan tells him all about it, I'm sure.

"He's... Cool." I try to show a convincing smile, but I know he doesn't believe me. Dating Tyler has made it so clear that what Patrick and I had was so great, and extremely hard to find. I couldn't be more depressed than to think about Tyler in this moment.

After a few more minutes of small talk, I realize something. "I think we were the only ones invited to this party." I smirk and Patrick laughs, agreeing with me.

"Just another plan of Jonathan's to get us back together." He looks at me with bright eyes, but I can't help but to look down at my feet.

"Yeah." I mumble. Silence sweeps over us for a little bit before Patrick starts to speak.

"What happened between us, (Y/N)?" He stuffs his hands in his pockets, another nervous habit of his.

I shake my head. "I don't really know, Patrick."

He smiles slightly, "Just hearing you say my name again brings me back to the memory of when we first met." He walks over to me and ends up standing just about a foot away.

"Yeah?" I laugh a little bit.

"Of course." He says, his eyes meeting mine. "I have to tell you something." His face begins to get closer to mine, the gap between us becoming smaller and smaller.

"What is it?" I ask.

"I don't care that you have a boyfriend. I'm still in love with you, (Y/N). And I want to be in your life again." He confesses.

Tears come streaming down my face. "Patrick," I say. "There isn't a day that passes that I don't think about you."

The same kind of tears appear in his eyes as he leans down and presses a kiss to my lips. It feels like an eternity since we last had a moment like this. I missed this. I missed us.

I wrap my arms around his neck and he smiles into the kiss. "I love you, (Y/N)."

"I love you, too." We pull apart and he pecks my lips again.

Out of nowhere, Jonathan appears at the bottom of the stairs. "All of my hard work has finally paid off!"

"Shut up, Jon."