Jamie McGinn

"(Y/N), what's wrong?" Jamie rushes over to me.

"He d-did it again." I choke out, trying to speak through a puddle of tears.

My boyfriend of almost two years cheated on me, for the second time. I forgave him the first time, an excessive amount of alcohol in his system being his excuse for his "mistake". I trusted him again, only to end up crying on my bed - My best friend, Jamie, coming to my rescue a second time.

Jamie sighs, pulling me into him. I cry harder into his chest as he slides his hand up and down my back. I recall his words the first time this happened. "He won't change. He'll do it again, just break it off with him." I feel like a complete idiot for not listening to his advice.

"Did you forgive him?" He asks me as if he already knows the answer.

"Yes." I cry out into his chest.

"Why?" He yells at me.

"Because...." I search for an answer to what should be a simple question, "Geez, Jamie! I don't owe you any answers. It's truly none of your business!" I shout at my best friend.

We almost never fight, but when it comes to my boyfriends.... we fight all the time.

"It is my business! When I see someone I love get hurt by a stupid guy who doesn't really care about you, I feel like it's my job to help you get rid of him." He explains.

I push him away, now leaning against my headboard.

"Well, I don't know what made you think that it's your job to take care of me, but it's not. And if it's such a burden, then why don't you just leave?" He positions himself so he sits in front of me. He takes both my hands into his and tilts my chin up, looking into my tear-filled eyes.

"It's not a burden at all. It's a privilege to take care of you. You wanna know why?" I nod my head slightly, "Because I love you, but not a friendly kind of love... it's a true love that I've found with you. I want to kiss you and hug you and be there for you when you're sad like this. So, please, let me continue to do this for you. I love you." His eyes are now filled with tears, threatening to spill at any second.

My tears continue to flow down my face, but this time - they're happy tears. I never realized before how I could overlook Jamie and I's potential to be in a relationship. I flash him a smile and pull him into a hug, wrapping my arms around his neck.

We both pull away and I see him staring at me.

"I really want to kiss you right now." He says, his eyes moving down to my lips.

"What's stopping you?" I ask him and he smiles, leaning closer and closer until our lips connect.

He pulls away from me, "Are you going back to your boyfriend?"

"How can I, when I'm more interested in someone else?" I question and we both laugh.

My tears are drying away with the memories of the past, Jamie is now my future.