Derick Brassard

I write the last sentence on the bottom of the first page of my final exam packet and turn the page. I feel eyes on me and I look up at Derick staring at me from the other side of my bed.

"Stop staring at me. It's distracting when I'm trying to study." I look back down at the new page of paper, the entire sheet filled with math problems and equations. I sigh and close my eyes, rubbing the side of my head trying to ease my throbbing headache.

"Are you almost done?" Derick complains. I look at the next seven pages that remain untouched.

"Not really." I place my pencil back on the paper, trying to think.

"Why don't you take a break? I've been watching you work for the past hour." He suggests.

"That sounds good to me." I smile and place my homework on my bedside table and lay down next to Derick. He puts his arms around my waist and I close my eyes, relaxing under his touch.

"Why don't you forget the rest of your homework and just lay here with me."

"I can't. You know I have to study." I reason with him. His face nuzzles into the crook of my neck and I laugh.

"I only get a few days off and I don't want to spend it watching you do homework. I want to take you out to dinner and buy you things and watch movies with you."

Guilt takes over me and I suddenly feel horrible.

"I want to do that with you too, but school is important to me." He squeezes me tighter.

"But just being with you is good enough for me, no matter what we're doing." He smiles and pecks me on the cheek.

"Good, so does that mean we can take a nap now?" I ask him.

"Yes." He says and closes his eyes. I look up at him, wondering how I got so lucky to have him in my life. Closing my eyes, I turn to face him and place my head on his chest, letting sleep take over me.