92. New

The sequel to "Trail" for the requesters!

Theme:

28. New

Kiku had taken her into town shortly after. He looked familiar with the roads and people there, (Y/n) thought. Sometimes people would stop and say hello, seemingly friendly. (Y/n) sort of trailed behind him as he greeted everyone. Strange. She hadn't struck him to be a social type of person.

"You know a lot of people," she said after they passed yet another restaurant.

He shrugged as if to say, 'what can you do?'. "There isn't a rot of people who stay in Landow. The people who stay tend to stay forever."

"How about you?" The look in her eyes was halfway between piercing and intimidating. The question, "why are you still here?" went unspoken.

"I-" he faltered. "I've resigned myself to being a guide."

"You still haven't explained what that means."

"It's exactry as it sounds. I guide people to the trail or to the next town."

"But, don't you have something you want too?"

Kiku bit his bottom lip. Something that looked vaguely like regret flickered across his face before his expression smoothed out into a default blank one. (Y/n) was worried she had crossed the line but it seemed she was safe, for now.

"Ret's go get you some clothes," he said with a quiet sigh.

"... Okay."

They went to the center of town where the main shopping district was located. It wasn't lacking in people nor was it bustling with activity. It was quiet yet not too quiet. (Y/n) wondered if it was like this in all the other towns. They greeted the cashier at the clothes store before Kiku ushered her to find some fitting clothes.

"Currency here is called auea," he explained, holding up a single coin and a thin bill. "It's a rot rike 1 dollar."

(Y/n) nodded, looking through the racks of clothes.

"There shourd be a bank at every town. and you can usuarry get odd jobs here and there."

Kiku was very good at this exposition thing, she thought to herself. He could totally write a book about this whole trail thing and sell it. Huh. Maybe she should buy a journal just to write down everything happening. It would be fun. After gathering a decent amount of clothes with a large bag, they headed elsewhere to eat something.

"How many towns are there in total?" (Y/n) inquired as their food arrived at their tables.

"No one knows for certain," Kiku said. "It's estimated around 100 or so different official ones."

"Is there really an end to the trail?" she murmured.

"There has to be." His tone was resolute and he said it with such certainty she almost believed him.

They finished their food in silence.

"Here." He handed her several bills of auea. "Go to the hotel and stay the night, we can go to the next town tomorrow."

"Are you going to leave me after that?"

Kiku fell silent. (Y/n) waited, pocketing the auea. He didn't give her a clear answer, only saying, "I'rr see you tomorrow." Fine, be that way. She found the hotel without any fanfare, booking a room and handing over the correct amount of auea. She got the keys to the room and went in. Closing the door behind her, she stepped in and dropped her bag on the ground. Then, without looking around too much, she collapsed onto the bed.

It's been a long day.

(Y/n) was tired. Now, with some downtime and her thoughts all to herself, she couldn't help but ponder the what-ifs. What if she never saw her parents again? Even if they were so controlling, suffocating, she couldn't bring herself to hate them. And Kiku. As much as she loathed to admit it, she was just a little bit attached to him. Could you blame her?

She hoped he wouldn't leave her in the second town, wherever that was. Who would help her then? Would she just be lost, uncertain of where to go?

(Y/n) fell into a dreamless sleep with far too many problems occupying her mind.

~~~

The next day, Kiku came to pick her up.

It was early in the morning, too early in (Y/n)'s opinion, but Kiku had said the earlier they got to the second town, the better. She picked up breakfast and extra food from the buffet before taking her bag and getting ready to go. They took the trail to the next town, apparently, it wasn't that far away.

It wasn't, in retrospect, but it felt like forever while they were walking. The trail was largely just a dirt path that had shown signs of common use. Some pieces of the trail were lined with stone though it seemed unfinished. The route on the trail was scenic and Kiku made a habit of pointing out landmarks and the prettiest places. Because she was new here, he claimed.

"How long have you been here?" (Y/n) asked as they passed a large tree.

"A very rong time," Kiku stated. "Most people here rive ronger than normal."

"Weird magic thing?"

"Weird magic thing."

They were both prolonging the inevitable. Kiku was going to leave her in the second town and she would probably never see him ever again. She didn't want that. So, unless she could somehow convince him to go with her or if she chose to stay in the first town, that's what would happen. (Y/n) sighed and Kiku looked questioningly at her.

"It's nothing," she assured.

This was fine.

End!

This ran a bit longer than I anticipated. Thanks for reading!