91. Lost

The short sequel to "Stories" for the requesters!

Theme:

55. Lost

England knew that woman looked familiar.

There was just something about her that screamed he knew her. Maybe it was the colour of her hair and eyes, or maybe the feeling of muted mischief surrounding her. She seemed like someone he should know but somehow doesn't. A face somewhere lost in his memories. It was frustrating, not remembering.

Unfortunately, when you're alive as long as he would, details begin to fade and faces blur together as centuries passed on. Days passed, unable to distinguish the events of each, only remembering the special things. It didn't matter most of the time if he forgot, humans did die rather quickly in retrospect but this time...

England swore he had seen her before. The details were fuzzy but there was just something about her. Somewhere in his memories, he remembered a woman, (h/c) hair and (e/c) eyes.

"Do you want to hear a story?"

He remembered a midsummer day. It was a long time ago, back when he was younger, odd as it was considering he was a nation. It was one of many encounters, he liked to think. This was one of the earlier ones. Not the very first (he didn't remember that far) but rather early. He wasn't sure how exactly she looked back then, maybe her hair was longer, her smile a little more innocent.

His recollections were hazy. He had stormed off to a hill somewhere after an argument with his brothers. England didn't remember what that argument had been about but he had been so, so angry. She had asked him if he wanted to hear a story. He agreed, wanting something to take his mind off the anger.

The story had an open ending. Sad or happy, depending on how you interpreted it. England hadn't been happy with the ending back then.

"Why did it have to end like that?"

"Do you not like the ending?" She had grinned. "Did you want a happy ending? Or perhaps a sad ending?"

She said she would tell him a different story next time. One with a happy ending. England didn't see her the next day, or the day after that, or even the next year for that matter. He had all but forgotten about her, too busy with political affairs and wars. Sometimes, he would catch glimpse of (h/c) hair, convincing himself that it was most definitely not her and that that hair colour was common.

Another time, he remembered meeting someone similar. It was hundreds of years later so he had marked off her appearance as a coincidence. A descendant perhaps. It wasn't uncommon to see people who looked similar only to find they were a descendant. He didn't remember the details of that meeting.

It was odd. Every time he saw her, there was just something that made him nostalgic but once she left, she would slip away from his mind again. Lost, buried under everything else. Maybe it was because there was something quietly unassuming about her. A perfectly crafted mischievous smile.

"Do you still want a happy ending?"

England knew that he couldn't let her escape his grasp this time.

End!

Thanks for reading!

Sequel: 95. Observe