90. Trail

Somewhat inspired by Tower Of God.

Theme:

58. Trail

What do you wish for?

What do you want?

Whatever it is...

Follow the trail.

~~~

Don't go off the path, mother said.

Don't go into the woods, the townspeople whispered.

Never stray from the road, father lectured.

Never stay out after midnight, they murmured.

If you see them, run.

~~~

(Y/n) was tired. So, so, tired. Don't do this, don't do that, what could she do? She understood most of them, she knew why they had to be in place but it was getting ridiculous. What do you mean she can't hang out with them?! Out of fear they might be whatever they are?! What do you mean she couldn't talk to them? Why were her parent so damn paranoid? She understood caution but this was just baseless paranoia.

They had gotten into another argument today. That's been happening a lot lately. As much as (Y/n) hated fights, they always seemed to happen whenever she was in the same room as her parents. With the number of restrictions they had put on her, she might as well just stay at home forever.

Out of anger and a little bit of spite, she ran out of the house. Dumb idea, she knew, but at that moment, she didn't care. She ran with only the lamp lights illuminating the road as she strayed farther away. Gods, she was really breaking all the rules right now, wasn't she? If she turned back now, she would most definitely be getting punished. Too late to go home now.

It was starting to get darker now, a few lamplights fading as (Y/n) took the familiar route to the forest. She was probably going to get lost and never return. Better dead than trapped forever, she bitterly thought as she took a sharp turn down the trail. This was fine, she was fine, this probably wouldn't end up fine.

She was in the forest now. Panting, she slowed down and laughter bubbled up. Her legs were burning, every breath never seemed enough, and the only things in sight were the tall trees. The faint scent of moss only reminding her that she was in the forest.

"You're such an idiot," she said to herself as she ran a hand through her hair.

Then, she collapsed, letting the darkness take her.

~~~

It was the feeling of someone shaking her that woke (Y/n) up. She groaned and shifted before opening her eyes. The first thing she noted was the big blue sky above her, the second was the face right above her's. The person had short black hair and dull brown eyes. He looked distinctly Asian. But, (Y/n) couldn't for the life of her understand why he was hovering over her.

Well, she seemingly wasn't dead yet. Odd, this didn't look like the forest. She definitely remembered running away into the forest before fainting.

"Where...?" Her throat hurt. The man moved out of her sight and she heard the sounds of something rustling before he came back, a water bottle in hand. He helped her sit up and pressed the edge of the water bottle to her lips. Now, normally, (Y/n) wouldn't have drank from a random bottle a stranger gave her but in this case, she didn't have much of a choice. She swallowed the liquid in the bottle that thankfully, tasted like regular water.

The man withdrew the bottle as (Y/n) began to speak.

"W-where am I?" she asked.

"Landow," he answered. "The first town."

(Y/n) blinked slowly. "Who are you?"

"Kiku Honda." He did a small bow. "I am a guide."

"How did I get here?" she murmured. "I was-"

She was in running into the forest. She ran away. Gods, her parents would be so disappointed in her. Maybe she was blinded by anger when she left and this was where she ended up.

"You were in the forest, right?" Kiku patiently asked.

"Yeah..."

"That means they brought you here."

Well then. "F*ck."

"Indeed." He nodded gravely.

"But, where exactly am I?" (Y/n) pursed her lips. "This isn't the forest."

"No one is rearry sure where this is." His eyes flickered to something behind her. "But you ran into the forest for a reason. Whatever you wish for, whatever you desire, whatever you need the answers to..." He stood up and pointed off to the distance. "Follow the trail."

Whatever she wanted, whatever she desired, whatever answers she needed... What an interesting prospect. What did she want? What did she need? What questions were there that she desperately needed the answers to?

"It's arright if you don't know what you want. Sometimes you find what you want whire on the trail."

"You said you were a guide," she stated. "What does that mean?"

A faint smile appeared on Kiku's face with had a small lilt that could be described as mischievous. He offered her a hand. "Wourd you rike to find out?"

(Y/n) wasn't sure if she trusted him or whatever this trail was but here at that moment, she was curious. She had been sheltered by her parents for so long, confined to her home. This felt like a taste of freedom, an adventure. Who knew what she would find on this trail? And well, she didn't really see any other good option.

She took his hand.

End!

Thanks for reading!

Sequel: 92. New