72. Door

This was inspired by a prompt I saw.

Theme:

78. Door

(Y/n) stared at the door in front of her and then at the key in her hand. A few sloppy words were scribbled on the door with a note that said have fun. To her left, was a shelf with numerous keys. There was another note pasted on the wall that had a set of instructions. (Y/n) wasn't sure what she expected when someone from her extended family sent her here.

According to the note, the door was locked. Any key could open the door, however, what was on the other side depending on the key. (Y/n) wasn't sure how it was supposed to work but apparently, it did.

So, here she was, standing in front of a mysterious door.

Maybe this was all a prank. Maybe they were videotaping her to see if she would fall for it. They would definitely laugh and say, "That dumba*s, I can't believe she fell for it!" Even so, it wouldn't hurt to just give it a try, wouldn't it? (Y/n) sighed and looked at the key in her hand. It was one of those old fashion golden keys. In the centre was an emerald with the word "tea" engraved into it.

She turned the knob of the door to see if it would open without the key. It was locked. It wouldn't hurt to at least try. Without much more delay, (Y/n) inserted the key into the door. She twisted it and heard a quiet click. She took the key out and pocketed it before putting a hand on the knob.

Then, she took a deep breath and pushed the door inward.

~~~

The room was surprisingly elegant. The walls were a pale pink and in the centre of the room was a table with chairs surrounding it. There was a pot of tea and a few teacups on the table.

"Hello, love."

A voice jolted (Y/n) from her thoughts. There was a man in front of her who had blond hair and green eyes. He was wearing a black suit and a top hat.

"H-hello...?" She silently cursed herself for being awkward. The man didn't seem to mind as he chuckled.

"Care for some tea?" he offered.

(Y/n) looked at the still-open door before looking back at the man. She hesitantly closed the door behind her and took a few steps farther into the room. The man smiled as he beckoned her to a seat.

She couldn't help but feel like she signed away something she really shouldn't have.

~~~

As (Y/n) came to learn, the man's name was Arthur Kirkland. He was interesting to put it simply. She didn't know why he was in the room and he never mentioned why. She was sure there was probably some story behind it but alas, she never found out. They often spent time just talking over a cup of very good tea.

Only after a few weeks did (Y/n) decide to pick a different key to try out on the door. This time, it looked a little more modern. There were two gems on the circular part with the word "Pasta" engraved on it. This time, there were two people in the room, brothers too. They were named Feliciano and Lovino.

(Y/n) had a plate of pasta with them which was very tasty.

While she was skeptical before about the door, it was undoubtedly strange but weirdly legit after the fifth key or so. It was a strange thing for how it worked but then again, she had seen stranger things. At one point, she wondered what would happen if she picked the lock.

"Hey, Arthur," (Y/n) had said one day. "What would happen if I picked the lock?"

Arthur paused to place his cup of tea down. "I'm not sure, love. No one's tried before."

"Huh," she muttered and took another sip.

It wouldn't hurt that much to try, would it?

~~~

(Y/n) bit her bottom lip as she heard the quiet clicks of the door unlocking in. It made absolutely no sense how it worked and yet, here she was. She finally felt the lock open and pulled the bobby pins out.

Then, she twisted the knob and pushed the door.

End!

Thanks for reading!