Christmas Tree Farm (Otis x Olympia)

(Otis x Olympia)

Olympia was grinning widely as she daydreamed at her desk at Odd Squad. Her mind was filled with whimsical memories of Christmas when she was a little kid. When her partner, Otis, came over he didn't question why she was just smiling into space. Olympia was normally happy 24/7, so it would be more weird if she was frowning.

"Hey, Olympia." Otis cautiously attempted to get her attention, not wanting to disrupt her thoughts. He really needed to talk to her though, causing him to accidentally yell, "Hey!" He felt bad when she jerked quite a bit, instantly apologizing, "Sorry, too loud."

"What is it, Otis," Olympia questioned, not upset that he had scared her for a moment.

"What are you getting Oona for Christmas? Normally I would have waited to ask, but the Christmas eve party is tomorrow..."

"It's not Christmas eve tomorrow," Olympia claimed, assuming her partner was crazy.

"Yes, it is."

"No, it's not. My calendar says it's not for a few days." She proudly held up the miniature calendar with an adorable picture of Labrador puppies in a Christmas box with red wrapping paper.

Otis closed his eyes before he calmly said, "Olympia, that calendar has the wrong year. You can't reuse those."

"But the picture is so cute on it! Wait... Are you saying Christmas eve is tomorrow," she slowly asked, creasing her forehead in a rare worried expression.

"Yes."

"It's no problem," she waved off. "I can just get everyone's presents tonight. I'm sure it will be easy." She produced her best positive smile, but a tiny part of her felt uncertain.

Once she got to the mall that evening it was a mad house with people taking advantage of last minute sales. There was a lot of shouting along with crying children, and Olympia struggled to squeeze through the mass of the crowd.

"Excuse me, do you have a green sweater in this size," she checked at the register.

"I'm sorry we're all sold out," spoke the girl working there. She had long blonde hair pulled straight back into a high ponytail and pale green eyes.

"Oh, that's okay! I can just get my friend, Oona, something else! What do you have in this size in green for a girl," Olympia wondered.

"We're completely sold out of everything in that size. I'm sorry." When Olympia turned to leave the girl shouted, "Happy Holidays!"

The auburn haired girl was determined to not give up though, going through multiple stores and bouncing back each time the item she wished for was unavailable. After ending up with a bunch of cheap gifts, she wasn't even sure if she would want, she collapsed into the cab she called for. As the thin trees with white lights strung around them passed her window, all she could do was stare at the diminishing snow. When the car briefly shone on a lot of evergreens for the holiday, she found herself closing her eyes and being swept away to her daydreams from earlier.

"My winter nights are taken up by static

Stress, and holiday shopping traffic

But I close my eyes, and I'm somewhere else

Just like magic

In my heart is a Christmas tree farm

Where the people would come

To dance under sparkling lights

Bundled up in their mittens and coats