All That Mattered (Oren x Octavia)

(Oren x Octavia)

To say Octavia and Oren were enemies wasn't exactly true. Octavia didn't have anything against him, but she hated how sometimes he was almost a bully to her. 

"Sorry Oren," she apologized, when he ran into her red wagon filled with cans of dinosaur food. 

"You should be," he snapped back, causing her to look down as the tears filled her eyes. 

Olaf would usually howl shortly after if he was around. 

"You're right, Olaf," Oren would normally nod, leaving Octavia there in sadness. 

Then there was the day when he zapped a gadget too close to her, and the breeze messed up her hair. She had never seen it such a static-filled mess, which she saw in the reflection of her darkened computer screen. 

"Oren," she exclaimed loudly, without a second thought. 

"Not my problem," he sassed before leaving. 

Octavia was just grateful when Olaf wasn't around to add his own, wordless input. Although, Olaf was pretty nice to her when Oren wasn't present, so she figured it was never anything bad he was saying about her. Maybe Oren just made it seem that way...

Octavia had just had a tiring day at the squad, and she could not wait to get home and crawl into her warm bed. 

"Squishinating," O'Brian called out, as her invisible partner, Oz, was sent away. 

She followed shortly after, crouching down into the tube as she heard O'Brian yell, "Preparing to Squishinate! Squishinating!" 

Even though the gears were whirring at first, all of a sudden there was complete silence. Octavia knit her eyebrows together in confusion as she gradually stood up. 

"Um, O'Brian... I don't think my tube is working," she noted. 

"Oh, my bad. Preparing to Squishinate! Squishinating," he announced, but just as before Octavia was still left where she was originally. 

"What's going on," she questioned. 

"I guess the tube must be broken," he shrugged. 

Octavia forced a sad smile as she walked into the tube lobby, another agent going into the tube she was just in. 

"Oh! You won't want to use that one. It's bro-," but before she could finish, O'Brian was shouting out his usual lines. 

Much to Octavia's dismay, the person was put into a red ball, and then shot out of headquarters. 

"What's going on? I thought that tube was broken," she pointed out, cautiously looking at O'Brian. 

"It is," he shrugged, but then he added a bit more darkly, "For you..." 

He even had an eerie smirk that scared Octavia a bit. 

"What do you mean," she couldn't help but wonder. 

"I'm tube blocking you. Isn't it obvious? Have fun staying her for an eternity, unless you can figure out why I'm doing it," he challenged, folding his arms, as his smirk grew. 

Octavia's mouth was hanging open for a moment before she blinked her eyes, and shook her head, finally reacting extra quietly, "Okay..." 

She then trudged into headquarters, sitting at her desk chair, where she planned to sleep for the night. This was before the night shift was ever invented, so she was all alone...