Filled With Regret (Dr. O x Otis)

A/N: I think you can tell by the title that this isn't my typical, happy ending one shot. I hope you like it anyways. I had fun writing in a different way than usual, and I might do more like this one. Don't worry though, because happy endings are one of my most favorite things, so you'll probably get lots of fluff and happily ever afters still. (: Please remember to comment, vote, and follow. Thank you so much! <3

(Dr. O x Otis)

Dr. O had always been a serious person with an odd personality, which is probably why she fit in perfectly at Odd Squad. For a long time she ran the gift shop there, but all along she knew her true calling was for something deeper. Eventually, a lab was created, so she was forced to take up a new job, and so it goes, she went by the name of Dr. O as an actual doctor. She hadn't even taken much notice in her cute, boy patients before, and no one had really touched her heart. It wasn't until she was forced to not act like herself, that it all began...

"I have a case of the sillies," she informed Otis and Olympia, after they had looked into her eyes that had crazy, spinning, swirls. 

Dr. O had no control over how insane she acted, and she didn't even know she was still connected to any emotions she had. That was until she began tickling Otis due to her condition. She had never seen him laugh before, or any boy laugh like that for that matter. For the first time in her years of service, she felt a fluttering in her heart, and from that moment on all she wanted was for him to smile for her. She didn't want him to grin because he was being tickled against his will, but because he genuinely was happy by her presence. After they cured her by throwing icky liquid, that seemed to pretty much just be pink yogurt, onto her she sprayed silly string on them. 

"That's my way of saying thank you, and... thank you.  That's also my way of saying, thank you," she stated, her eyes lingering on Otis for a brief moment. 

"What's next," she shouted, turning away from the feelings she didn't want to admit she had.

It got harder though as time passed, especially when Otis was a maintenance worker for a day, and he was sent to fix her office with dancing music, and multi-colored, disco lights spinning around. 

"As a doctor, I can't lie. I'm starting to catch the beat," she confessed, as she swayed slightly to the tune. 

Otis was doing all he could to repair the damage, but all she could focus on was how she wanted him to dance with her. She knew how talented he was, and she wanted to be his partner for a waltz, hip hop, anything. But when everything was back to normal, all she did was act as though she felt nothing special at all. 

"What's next?! No seriously, what's next? These maintenance workers never stop working," she pointed out to Otis. 

He didn't seem too thrilled that she reminded him, but somehow she couldn't get herself to act any other way.

"Everyone, I'm going to be leaving Odd Squad soon. To be a doctor... in space," she announced multiple times to everyone in headquarters. 

Even though it was her dream to do this, she couldn't help but feel a nagging regret of how she had never let on to how she felt about Otis. Olympia, his partner, didn't even realize that she was leaving. Dr. O couldn't complain though, for she knew that she was greatly appreciated. The final day they all threw her a surprise going away party, and she stared up in shock as her cake flew up into the air. The ribbon twirler/dancer, or whatever, had accidentally bumped into it. There was no mistaking that stronger flutter in her heart, when Otis was one of the people that stood underneath the dessert to unsuccessfully catch it. His hair and face had icing stuck to it, and with hidden tears, Dr. O complimented them on the oddest party of her life. She didn't even mind the creepy, paper masks that were of her face. 

"We'll miss you, Dr. O," Ms. O told her, as she got a hug from a few of the members. 

Dr. O was grateful that Olympia was going to miss her, since she was a newer agent, but her heart cracked slightly when all Otis did was stick out his hand. When she shook it, all she could focus on was the sparks between them, and how she never told him, and now it was all too late. 

She choked back her tears, as she normally yelled, "What's next?!" 

And then she was leaving one of the shortest parties of her life, but one of the longest pains she had ever experienced.

When she got to space, she managed to concentrate on her job, just as she always did, but her heart skipped a beat when she answered her badge phone one afternoon. She had been checking out a rash on a patients' arm, and how it was a rainbow instead of just red color. 

"What's next," she called into the phone. 

"Oh, sorry, I must have the wrong number. I meant to call Ms. O," Otis stammered. 

It was now or never as Dr. O's heart had suddenly travelled to her throat, since it was surely beating out of her chest. 

"Wait," she called, covering the receiver as she turned to her patient. 

"Important call," she lied, which she had always failed to do. 

She naturally was just honest about anything she said, even on how if she didn't do things she wasn't good at, she never would have become a doctor. 

"Hello? Otis," she asked into the badge, as she walked into the cramped hallway of the shuttle she was on. 

"Yeah," Otis questioned hesitantly. 

He was evidently confused by the tone of his voice. 

"How are things back at Odd Squad," she inquired briskly. 

"Fine...," Otis reluctantly trailed off. 

Dr. O closed her eyes as she sighed deeply, every memory filled with regret clouding her vision. 

"There's something I must tell you, not as a doctor," she stated promptly. 

"Okay...," Otis agreed, his words still dragged out. 

"Hi, my name's Dr. O. We met that one time when...," she started, but sighed out loud when she realized her seriousness was taking control again. 

"Okay, here's how it is. Remember when I had the case of the sillies, and you helped to cure me," she wondered, nervousness welling up into her stomach. 

"Yeah...," Otis confirmed, but he still sounded puzzled. 

"And remember how you were the maintenance worker that one time, and you fixed my office," she continued. 

"Yeah...," Otis answered the exact same way again. "And remember when...," she gulped as she fought back the tears. 

"You threw me that going away party," she finished. 

"Actually, that was more of Olympia's doing... I'm not that big into parties," he claimed. 

"What I wanted to say was, thank you," she seriously replied. 

"You're welcome...," Otis confusedly reacted. 

"I have to go. I have a patient here with a rainbow rash," she responded, hanging up the phone before he could speak again. 

Then she opened up her badge again, and whispered into the end filled with static, "And I think I could have loved you." 

On the other line, Otis bit his lower lip, since only her connection was messed up, due to her being in space. 

"I think I could have loved you too...," he trailed off. 

Then they both shut their badge phones with tears in their eyes, and filled with regret on the one chance they never got to take.