The Moment I Knew (Todd x Olive x Otto)

(Todd x Olive x Otto)

If someone were to look in a lit up window at night, they would have seen a girl that was not happy at all. They never would have guessed that Christmas was in a few weeks time, or that this day was extra special itself. It was her birthday. The phone rang.

*Earlier that evening*

"You should've been there,

Should've burst through the door,

With that 'baby I'm right here' smile,

And it would've felt like,

A million little shining stars had just aligned,

And I would've been so happy."

Olive was practically jumping out of her shoes the first half hour as her guests arrived. Some of them were early while others were late, but one thing most of them had in common was they were from her job at Odd Squad. She felt especially beautiful that night with her dark hair curled down her back, her bangs pinned up at the side. She had even put on a light amount of makeup that looked natural, and she decided she would would wear red lipstick just this once. Although it was a soft shade of cherry and pink, so that it wouldn't be too bold. Her dress was a black one that fell to about her knees, and was slightly poofy at the bottom, while her flats matched it. She found herself hugging every friend that arrived, even though she usually wasn't the overly affectionate type. She had just been on cloud 9 lately, between doing what she loved every day, and having her first boyfriend, whom she adored. He should be showing up by now...

"Christmas lights glisten,

I've got my eye on the door,

Just waiting for you to walk in,

But the time is ticking,

People ask me how I've been

As I comb back through my memory,

How you said you'd be here,

You said you'd be here."

She couldn't lie that she loved how her birthday was an excuse to have festive decorations, the twinkling lights seeming to add a magical aura to the rooms. Soon she drifted near the doorway of the living room, but she couldn't help but keep glancing at the silent front door.

"And it was like slow motion,

Standing there in my party dress,

In red lipstick,

With no one to impress,

And they're all laughing,

As I'm looking around the room,

But there was one thing missing,

And that was the moment I knew."

Olive's hopes were wearing thin, as her smile gradually drooped throughout the celebration. She was doing her best to be joyful around her friends, but it was hard. One of her closest friends, Octavia, seemed to be catching on to her sadness. Olive suddenly excused herself, traveling down a hallway that seemed longer than usual. She appreciated how Oscar, Owen, and even Oren lingered behind, him probably just to see what was going on, but all she wished for was to be alone.

"And the hours pass by,

Now I just wanna be alone,

But your close friends always seem to know