Lost in the Woods (Oprah x O'Donahue)

(Oprah x O'Donahue)

A single red leaf tumbled from the highest branch of a tree, before delicately touching the ground. Once the breeze picked up, it was joined by others of vibrant, Autumn colors, dancing across the earth. It seemed harmless, but then a strong gust of wind whipped through the area, and not only were some of the leaves torn up in the process, but people were yelling for help. At first they were so stunned by the random tornadoes they didn't know how to react, but then they realized the weatherman hadn't lied to them that day. These mini storms were produced by none other than the villain, Ms. Tornado. Her evil laugh carried across the Fall sky, oddly bright blue for the twisters she was shooting out of her hands.

Meanwhile at Odd Squad everything was calm, since their headquarters was located underground. O'Donahue confidently made his way up to Ms. O's office, who he still called, Oprah. It had been only half a year, since she took up the new position, but he already missed her. She grew pretty busy, and that left him with solving cases with other agents, or even eating lunch alone. She had promised they would always be close, but sometimes he questioned it. The happiest day of his life had been when she agreed to finally be his girlfriend, but that was back when they were partners, peanut butter and jelly, yet Tiggles and Taggles at the same time. They were often opposites, but special moments made them feel like they were so in sync that that fact melted away.

"Yes, O'Donahue," Oprah answered curtly, not even raising her head when he entered her office. She was busying writing out information to send to the Big O on the squad's status report for that month.

"You coming to lunch with me, Opes," he questioned, not even stepping up to her desk. He lingered by the doorframe, assuming her answer would be negative.

"I can't. I have too much work to do. The only thing I'm having today is my juice boxes."

"Those are just from today," he asked, shock written completely over his face as he spotted the long row of metal, purple waste baskets with lines crossing all around them for the structure.

"No," Oprah replied, her voice raising a bit as she attempted to play it off. At least her head wasn't buried in sheets of paper now. "That's from the last hour." After a brief pause that felt much longer, she added, "Maybe I should cut back."

"I know what you need. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Oh yeah." O'Donahue nodded his head slowly a few times to look cool, but Oprah's reaction was less than positive.

Her entire face had scrunched up as she said, "I just got done monitoring a case with Jamie Jam. I can't even think about jelly, jam, or marmalade right now."

"Just peanut butter then," he offered.

A sigh escaped her lips as her attention became glued back to her work. "I'm sorry. I just don't have the time."

"Okay, I'll see you around, Oprah," he finished, purposely not using her special nickname, since he was upset with her.

Her brown eyes gazed after him as he left, guilt hitting her at how she had been neglecting him. She almost called after his departing figure, but then her purple phone rang.

She instantly answered on instinct, her voice growing instantly serious. "Hello?"

An idea struck her when she was told of the current disasters Ms. Tornado had been causing. She smiled faintly as she moved to her podium on the top floor between the two staircases. "O'Donahue! In my office! NOW!" He whipped his head up as soon as he heard her booming voice, and another smile spread across her face, him knowingly returned the gesture before jogging up the steps. For a moment she had felt like a fairytale princess waiting for her prince, or Juliet for Romeo. When he stopped inside of her office where she now stood, she finally told him why she had called.