20

-Past-

"Are you done asking questions?!" he yelled in my ear.

"Yes!" I sobbed. I just wanted it to stop. He yanked my hair and tossed me to the ground.

"You're not going to see that boy again, you understand?" I nodded eagerly just so he would let me go. "You're getting distracted, Y/N! I don't need you distracted, I need you ready!" he practically spat on my face. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered. 

"Don't worry, your brother is going to keep an eye on you and make sure you're actually understanding what I'm saying," he sighs. "I don't want any other incidents like this. There are only certain people you can talk to, you know what might happen if you talk to outsiders," he growls. 

"They're people like us, dad," as he turned to me, I knew I shouldn't have spoken. 

"Any one of them could be a vampire, Y/N. Any of them! Any of them could've been the one who killed your mother, and you want to what? Become friends with them?" he started to laugh. So much that it scared me. It died down and he squats down to be eye level with me. "Trust no one, we won't become friends with anyone around here!" his hand slams on the ground and I flinch. 

I cover my eyes and my hands catch my tears and I cry as his footsteps get further and further from me.