[ 45 ] 2013

[ 45 ] 2013

-

"Will I ever return to Sydney?" 

Everyone in the room suddenly had their eyes glued to the dark haired man as he made his way toward Harley and Michael. "What?" Harley asked in confusion. 

"Michael." Arthur stated firmly. "Come with me."

"Boss-" Michael started, but was cut off.

"Come with me, now." He repeated, with more authority in his voice.

Harley watched as Michael followed Arthur into a different room of the shelter and shut the door. When Arthur was finally out of the room, Harley thought she would take the opportunity to go talk to her mother.

She walked towards Harleen and sat beside her, eyebrows knitted together in annoyance.

When Harleen noticed this, she frowned. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Oh, I don't know, mom." Harley hissed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Can you like maybe pretend like you care about your marriage? Your husband is passed out in the other room and you're here flirting with a guy who left you like twenty years ago."

"We were just talking." Harleen said innocently.

"Talking." Harley repeated. "You may have been just talking, but your eyes looked at him like-"

"Like I'm in love?" Her mother challenged.

"Like you wanted to undress him!" Harley finished.

Sighing, her mother added, "Harley, I know its hard for you to understand because you care about Aaron. But I loved Arthur first. We would have gotten married if it hadn't been for your grandmother. You can't just expect me to forget about the person I love, it doesn't happen over night."

"Its been like twenty years." Harley pointed out.

"I care about Aaron." Harleen assured. "But I'll always love Arthur."

.

.

.

.

In the other room, Arthur looked down at the boy who sat on a leather chair in the room. It seemed to be a small office with a few picture frames that showed off a happy family who once lived on the property a long time ago.

"Michael..." The man dressed in black began, running a hand through his dark hair in frustration. "What did you think you were doing?"

"I like Harley." He stated simply.

“You can’t love Harley that way.” Arthur said, his words coming out as an order. He was very upset and Michael couldn't understand why.

“And why not?” Michael challenged. "Because she's your daughter? Am I not good enough for her?"

"I order you to stay away from her." Arthur hissed.

“That's not a good enough reason. I have allowed you to make decisions for me for years, when I don’t even know who you are. Well this time, I’m not gonna let you tell me who I can love unless you give me a damn good reason.” He balled his hands into fists in anger. When the dark haired man said nothing, Michael began to lose his patience. “Come on,” He urged through gritted teeth. “Say it! Why shouldn’t I love Harley the way that I love her? Convince me!” 

He heard the boss sigh in defeat before blurting out. “Because Harley is your sister."

Michael's heart dropped at the news. "What?" He asked in disbelief, as if to make sure he had heard correctly.