[ 2 ] 2013

[ 2 ] 2013

"Billy!" She called from the hallway after leaving her room.

Her voice was so full of worry that her brother ran towards her in a flash, ready to protect his sister from any type of harm. His own room was only across the hallway from hers and he had grabbed the first object he could potentially use as a weapon.

"What is it, Harley?" He was out of breath and held an aluminum baseball bat securely in his hands. When she didn't say anything, he asked her again, "What's wrong?" He was expecting there to be a homeless person or someone breaking into the once abandoned house, but at that moment she didn't seem to be in any sort of danger.

She moved to the side and let him pass into the empty room cautiously. Harley grabbed onto her brother's arm and led him all the way into the room, stopping directly in front of the mirror which had been mysteriously left behind. 

"Look into the mirror, Billy." She gestured towards the gold color rimmed object before them.

Her brother's blue eyes looked at his own reflection. It was all he could see in it. 

"Its a mirror." He stated the obvious. His grip on the baseball bat relaxed considerably and he let it fall to the floor with a thud. If there was no one to protect his sister from, he wouldn't be needing it until he could join a baseball team in town, most likely the one at his new high school.

Frustrated, she groaned, "Well no shit, Billy. But...do you see anything else there?"

"Like what?" He eyed her, confused.

"Like, I don't know, maybe a blonde haired guy?" She insisted. Harley could clearly see the boy standing inside the mirror.

Ashton rolled his eyes, telling her, "He's not like you, he can't see me. All he can see is his own reflection."

She looked right at Ashton. "You shut the fuck up."

"Harley, who are you talking to?" Billy asked, cocking an eyebrow at her suspiciously.

"Uh, no one. I thought I heard you say something." She quickly replied. She felt like she was clearly going insane if she was seeing things that weren't really there. But the boy in the mirror looked as real to her as her brother who was standing next to her. "This mirror was just here when we arrived and I just wanted to know...just forget it." She waved him off.

Billy sighed. "I thought you were under attack by a pack of wolves or something, but you called me here to check out a mirror? Sometimes I don't understand you at all, Harley." He never seemed to understand his younger sister. She insisted on dressing in dark clothes, dye her hair in unnatural colors and listen to music no one listened to. She was nothing like him or the kinds of girls he was used to being around at school. Billy was always surrounded by jocks, cheerleaders, and other populars while his sister had one friend and they hung out with the rejects. The only reason sh edidn't get picked on or teased by the populars was because Billy Quinn was one of them and they didn't want to upset him by picking on his younger sister.

He thought Harley could have really fit in with the populars if she had tried harder. Billy was accepted and he thought they could give her a chance if she wanted to. But Harley's goal in high school was to just get by without being noticed. She hated being the center of attention.

"You were planning to save me with a baseball bat?" She questioned, unimpressed. She doubted her brother could save her from a pack of wolves armed only with a baseball bat.

"Shut up." He told her with a snort and turned to leave the room.

Harley rushed to the door and bolted it shut after her brother left. When she returned to the mirror, Ashton asked her, "Who was that guy? Your boyfriend?"

"Ew no!" Her face contorted in disgust. "Billy is my older brother."

"You two don't look alike at all." He commented.

She shrugged her shoulders. "We get that a lot. He looks like my dad and I look like my mum, unfortunately."

She was often told she didn't look like her brother or her parents, which was another reason why she felt like she didn't fit in with them. When she was blonde and dressed in clothes her mother picked for her, she was constantly told how much she looked like Harleen. But Harley wasn't Harleen and didn't feel like herself. It wasn't until her fifteenth birthday that she started picking out her own clothes and begged her dad for permission to dye her hair blue. Her mother complained about it all the time at first, until she grudgingly accepted it months later. The way she was now, Harley felt like herself. But she found she fit in even less with her perfect family.

Once the reality of it all sunk in, she covered her face with her hands, letting out a loud groan. "I cannot believe I am actually talking to a mirror and I am actually getting a reply by a gorgeous, but weird guy in 1960's clothing. Maybe its the lack of sunlight affecting my brain since I don't go out much. Or maybe I'm going fucking crazy. This cannot be real. He's just my imagination, that must be-"

He interrupted her, "I'm sorry to interrupt your session of self-pity and denial, but I am real."

"No, no." She shook her head, refusing to believe his words. "There really isn't a guy living in my mirror. I'm just seeing things. Its the Perth withdrawal symptoms. I just miss home."

Just then, there was a knock on her door. "Harley? Who are you talking to?"

It was her mother.

"No one, mum." Harley called out, reassuring her.

"Open the door, sweetheart. I have your sleeping bag. You know the movers aren't going to bring the furniture until tomorrow." She said cheerfully from the other side of the door. They had decided to move houses on a Sunday, and the moving company they contacted wasn't open on Sundays, which meant the Quinns had to take the essential things in their mini van and wait for everything else to arrive on Monday.

"Ugh, mum!" Harley groaned.

"That's no way to speak to your mum." Ashton interjected. No one he knew back in the nineteen sixties acted that way towards their mother.

"Shh!" She eyed him angrily, just before opening the door.

She opened it just a crack and reached out to grab her sleeping bag, but her mother had other ideas. She pushed the door open and looked around the room, as if expecting someone to be there with her daughter. "I heard you talking to someone in here."

Harley shook her head, "How would I do that? I don't know anyone in this place. What you heard was just me talking to myself."

Her mum's eyes fell upon the golden mirror at the end of the room. She gasped, "Oh my gosh, that is just lovely. Do you think the previous neighbors left that here for us as a welcome present?"

"Mum, what neighbors?" Harley asked, annoyed. "Dad said no one has lived in this house since 1963. I doubt they left their mirror as a housewarming present. Now, will you please leave? I'd like to be alone."

She practically pushed her mother out the door.

"You're mean to your mum. I never behaved like that with my mother." He said from the mirror.

"Can we not talk about this right now?" She asked him, then added, "What I really want to know is if you are real like you claim to be, how did you get in that mirror?"

He opened his mouth to speak.

"You mean, you don't know what happened to my family?"

-

Ugh, yes. I know this one was kinds filler. But thank you so much for 600+ reads. I was so amazed when I saw it. And I am so thankful too. I will try to dedicate a chapter to each of you because I am so grateful. Your support means the world to me. Please continue supporting me.

How are you guys liking Harley? Or Ashton? Do you ship them? Hashton? Yes? No? Okay.

So please vote, comment, read, and add to your reading list. Thank you!

xoxo, Pornoskians