[ 18 ] 2013

[ 18 ] 2013

"What is he doing out of the mirror?"

-

The next night, Harley was determined to do some digging while her parents were getting ready. Her mum was in the shower and her dad wasn't home from work yet.

She snuck into her parents' room and sifted through some boxes they had in the back of the closet.

Most of them were labeled 'baby photos: billy' while others were labeled 'baby photos: harley' and there was even a box with her parents' wedding photos. And there was one last box, one with no name on it. She thought that one was the one she needed.

Harley pulled the box out of the closet and put everything else back where it was. As she turned, she dropped the box in surprise when she saw Ashton standing there. having materialized from out of nowhere.

"The fact that you actually move beyond my room now freaks me out." She said, trying to catch her breath.

"You shouldn't be looking through your mum's things." He scolded her. Even so, he knelt down to get the box for her. 

The two of them made their way back to her bedroom, Harley trying to be quiet untik they reached her door. She went inside and pulled Ashton with her, locking the door behind him. "I just want to see how much information I can dig up on this Arthur Vega guy."

"You could just ask your mum about him." Ashton suggested.

"Like she'd ever tell me." Harley scoffed.

Ashton set the cardboard box on her bed and took a step back. She quickly went towards it and pulled the flaps open. Inside were stacks of photos, folded notes, cards, and all kinds of gifts. 

Harley grabbed a stack of pictures and looked at the one on the top. 

She let out a gasp when she saw a young couple in the picture, standing in front of a motorcycle. There were bright smiles on their faces and she recognized one of them as her mum. The girl looked just like Harley, only her normally blonde hair was dyed black and she wore dark eyeliner around her blue eyes and black lipstick.

The girl wore a black leather jacket with spikes on the shoulder and black fingerless gloves, on her legs were black tights and on her feet were black leather boots.

The boy next to her had chocolate brown curls and was dressed in a flannel shirt. He wore dark jeans that clung to him tightly and black leather boots on his feet. He had the opposite features of her father.

And it was then that she assumed he must have been Arthur.

She turned the picture over, noticing there was something written there in neat handwriting. 

Arthur Vega & Harleen Davis --- Perth, AUS. December 31st, 1989.

She set the pictures down on her mattress. Reaching into the box again, she grabbed a handmade wooden mirror. It was decorated in flowers and at the very top has the name Harleen carved across. 

Turning it over, she saw something else carved in the back.

For Harleen.

With Love, Arthur. 

December 25th, 1989.

"You kind of look like him." Ashton commented.

Ignoring him, Harley breathed. "It looks like he and my mum really loved each other."