[ 26 ] 1960

[ 26 ] 1960

"Don't trust anyone."

-

"Am I interrupting something?" He asked them.

The two pulled away from each other with lightning speed, Con turned to face Ashton. But the two were completely speechless. They didn't know how much he had seen, and they needed to think up a lie quickly.

"I was told the two of you only had a relationship of being childhood friends." Ashton reminded them. "Is it then, maybe, that the two people who I have come to trust, are lying to me?"

"No-" Claire began.

But Con cut her off. "Calm down, mate. Whatever you saw was just a misunderstanding."

"I saw you leaning in to kiss her." Ashton said.

Con shook his head. "Your view was skewed. She had a bug on her face and I just helped her get it off."

"That's right." Claire gulped. "I have a phobia of bugs."

"Like I said," Con grinned, "Misunderstanding."

Ashton had never actually seen Con smile before and he didn't think he'd ever witness it. In the short time he's known him, he always kept to himself and hardly talked to anyone at all. He wondered how someone as talkative and happy as Claire could ever be friends. Then again, the same could be said for him.

Ashton chuckled. "Aw, okay. Sorry for stirring up some unnecessary drama." He scratched the back of his head sheepishly before joining them on the grass where they were eating lunch.

For the next few minutes, he watched them eat their lunch, until Claire finally noticed. "Where's your lunch, Ash?"

"Oh," He looked down at his backpack. "I was looking for you guys at the caf and I acidentally made some guy drop his lunch. So I let him have mine cause I felt really bad for him." 

"Let me guess," Claire sighed, "Lucas dropped his lunch again?"

"It happens often then?" Ashton asked.

She nodded, "He is the clumsiest, dorkiest, weirdest guy ever."

"He seemed quite nice to me." Ashton shrugged. "But he was a bit guarded when I tried to give him my lunch."

Sticking her fork into her plate of salad, Claire explained, "That's probably because he felt intimidated by you. He's the school's reject, like, no one talks to him but those dorky leadership friends of his."

"Don't you think that's rather mean to say?" He asked Claire.

She laughed at his question. "They're just dorks, Ashton. They're not like us."

Starting to get annoyed, Ashton sighed. "Maybe we should change the subect. I'd like to talk about something else."

"Here," She said, passing him a plate of food which had grilled chicken and macaroni on it. "You can have my food. I'll just have the salad today."

Ashton shook his head, "I can't accept this."

"Eat it." She assured him. "I don't really like pasta. It makes you fat."

"Are you trying to fatten me up then?" Ashton joked. He laughed when she was left without anything to say. "I'm joking, Claire. I'll eat your food because I'm really hungry. But I owe you lunch and I'll make it up to you." Looking at Con, who had remained quiet the entire time, Ashton asked, "Why aren't you joining the conversation?"