[ 39 ] 1961

[ 39 ] 1961

He was sat at his desk in the classroom, which was more like an auditorium full of people. At the front of the room, his professor blabbered on about the law and why it was all important. Ashton didn't even know why he even bothered to attend class. 

He hadn't learned anything and knew he would probably end up failing the class. Passing would be an unlikely miracle.

The only reason he had declared himself a pre-law major was because his father hoped he would ultimately apply to a law school and become a lawyer just like him. But Ashton didn't like law, what he always wanted to study was music. Every day in his la classes, he would find himself doodling music notes on his notebook of drawing musical instruments. 

Music was what made him truly happy.

He often considered telling his father about it, but he knew his father would never understand. Everytime the modern music came on the radio, Mr. Irwin would always change the station to listen to oldies music and began to criticize 'the lazy hippie kids and their rubbish music'.

When class ended and the students were dismissed, Ashton immediately shot up from his seat and stuffed all his materials into his book bag. Earlier in the week, he had recieved a letter from his pre-law professor, requesting to meet with Ashton because the young man was in danger of failing the class. Because of this, Ashton had been avoiding his professor, blending into the crowd of students as they left the room.

He was about to do so when his professor waved him over, "Mr. Irwin," The elderly man said, "I've been meaning to talk to you. Do you have a moment?"

This was Ashton's last class for the day, but wanting to avoid a scolding from his professor, he decided to lie. "Uh, I'm sorry Professor Smith. I really have to get to my economics class. My professor will be very upset if I get there late."

"What I need to tell you will just take a moment, Mr. Irwin." Professor Smith insisted.

"Fine." Ashton sighed.

"What do you wish to work as once you finish your studies at the university?" The elderly man asked and Ashton didn't know why he was being asked this.

As if it were obvious, Ashton replied. "I want to be a lawyer, like my father, of course."

"Thar is a lie." His professor pointed out.

"What?"

"You don't want to be a lawyer." Professor Smith repeated. When he saw the confusion on his student's face, he added, "Do you think I can't see you from where I stand everyday, Mr. Irwin? You show up to class with no enthusiasm, you doze off, and you doodle in your notebook instead of taking notes."

"Uh.." Was all Ashton could say, having been left speechless.

"You don't want to be in this class because you don't like this profession." He pointed out. "And quite frankly, you're not good at this. You're on the brink of failing, but there's still hope."

"There is?" Ashton asked.

His professor nodded. "I will pass you, meaning I will give you a B in the class. But you must drop this major and change it to something you're actually good at. Don't do this because your father wants you to. If you're serious about something, you should do it because you love it."

"I can't drop out of the pre-law program." Ashton said. "Its all my father has ever wanted for me."

"If you go into pre-law, you'll only be miserable for the rest of your life." Professor Smith placed a hand on Ashton's shoulder reassuringly. "Well, you're dismissed, Mr. Irwin."