[ 17 ] 2013

[ 17 ] 2013

"You are finally free, Mirror Boy."

-

She looked around, amazed that there could be something like this beyond her mirror.

"So..." She began, dazed. "You live here."

He scratched the back of his head. "Its not technically living since I died fifty years ago. But I suppose you could say that."

"Right, sorry." She said. "What I meant to say was: This is where you hang out."

A smile spread across his face. "You make it sound like its a club or a lounge."

She rolled her eyed. "I can't find the correct words to say what I actually mean, so shut it, Mirror Boy."

"I know what you mean." He smiled at her. With a sigh, he gestured to his surroundings. "This is where I've spent the last fifty years."

"It doesn't sound so bad." She lied.

He nodded in agreement. "Its like being in jail...boring and repetitive because I can't leave the property. But more recently, its gotten to be better. Now that you're here...I'm not lonely anymore. I actually have someone to talk to."

"Speaking of which...my mum saw you." Harley said.

"Yeah," He nodded, "Harleen told me all about you. She told me about how you stripped naked when you were three and jumped into a muddy water filled hole in the backyard when you guys first moved into your old house. She said you told her it was your pool." His smile widened until he couldn't hold back his laughter anymore.

Harley went red in the face, grabbing the nearest object she could find and chucked it at him. It was a hairbrush. "That never happened, stop laughing at me!"

"She also told me about how you gave Billy white furniture cleaning liquid and told him it was yogurt." Ashton laughed. "Or when you thought you could clean your ears on your own when you were four and you got the cotton swab stuck in your ear so they had to take you to the hospital to get it out."

"Oh my gosh." Harley groaned. "I am going to kill my mum. She told you all the embarassing ones."

"Why?" He asked, his face still amused. "I liked the stories."

"Of course you like the stories. That's because you get to laugh at me. Let's hear one of your embarassing stories then." She cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Sure." He told her. "Before we moved into this house, my father was en employee at a big coorporation. We got this house because he had gotten a big promotion. But that's not so relevant to the story. The house we lived in before only had one bedroom. But it was really big, so father separated the two sides with a curtain. And we only had one bathroom. The house we lived in was really old, it had been built decades before. And the ceiling in the bathroom was flimsy. I was twelve, maybe thirteen when it happened. I was in the shower and the bathroom ceiling collapsed on me."

Harley laughed. "Poor you."

"It had fallen because there was a heavy ant's nest on it. I ran out of the bathroom screaming." He laughed at the memory. 

Remembering that she had a question to ask him, she said, "So...why is it that my mum can see you?"

He shrugged. "She must be a shifter too. But she looks like she doesn't know she's one."

"I do remember her saying, when I was little, that she would see strange things. One time, when we visited grandma's house, she swore she saw her dad walk into one of the bedrooms. Her dad died when she was fifteen." Harley explained. "And my mum had seven brothers, she was the only girl. But she said she remembered having a little sister at one point. But grandma says she only had one daughter."