Chapter 134...

3 & 1/2 Years Later.

It was unlike any other December in North Carolina. Ghostly flakes came floating down towards the earth, cloaking the world in a hue of white. Some even pelting the window, but soon being swept away by the wind shield wipers. 

Smoke trailed out from behind the truck, following for a brief moment before vanishing into the stale, cold air. A barely noticeable humming came from the engine, as the truck continued down the roads of Garner, North Carolina. 

Sitting there, your back towards the door and head leaning against the window, you watched Scotty as he had his eyes intently focused on the road ahead of himself. Your fingers were wrapped around the phone, that had been practically connected to your ear all day, as you listened to your mom ramble on about how excited she was to have you back home. 

“yes, we’re almost there, just a few more blocks. Yeah. Alright. I love you too. See you in a few.” you said pulling the phone away from your ear and quickly pressing the ‘end’ button, as you let out a exasperated breath, before shoving it into your pocket. Scotty chuckled from the drivers seat. Looking up towards him your face crumpled in confusion, “what?” you asked. His eyes disconnected from the road, to give you a quick glance, before they reconnected a moment later. “nothing”  he shook his head, as his smile began to reach his eyes. “McCreery, why you gotta do that to me?” you slightly whined, “do what?”, “not tell me things” you threw your hands into the air. He chuckled once again “it’s really nothing, (your name)” he said turning down onto the very familiar street. “but-” “oh look we’re here!” he said as he pressed down on the gas just enough to have the truck finally arrive at the two neighboring homes. 

Putting the matter aside, you climbed out of the truck and met Scotty at the bed, where he handed you your bags. “I’ll see you in a few” he said as then his lips grazed your cheek for barely a second, he then began to back up in the direction of his house. “alright” you said sending him a quick smile, then turning in the direction of the house. 

“I’m home!” you called out in the midst of the room, as you shut the front door behind you. “SHE’S HOME MY BABYS HOME!!!” you could hear your momma squeal from upstairs, then she emerged down the stairs. “hi momma” you said as she pulled you into her arms. “hello baby girl, I missed you so much” she said in the middle of her bone crushing hug. “mom, you seen me last month!” you said between gasps of air. “I know but it’s just been too long” she whined. 

“oh gosh, Dad! She’s doing it again!” Alana called as she reached the bottom of the stairs. A dim thudding sound upstairs began from one end of the house and got louder as it neared you all. “(momsname), let go of her! You’re gonna break her before any of us get our turn!” your father called as he raced down the stairs. “oh right” your mom had released you from her grip then. “hey bud” your dad said pulling you into a bear hug, and briefly lifting you off the ground before practically dropping you back down.

“Alana how about you shown your sister up to her room” your mom said handing Alana your bags. “mom I’m sure I know where my room is, it’s only been a month” you protested as you went to reach for your bags, but Alana stepped back. A skeptical look took it’s place on your face, and she leaned in towards you “just let me take you to your room, just for moms sake, alright?” she whispered, you nodded and followed after her. 

The creaking of the floor boards below your feet sent a reassuring comfort to surround you, as you stepped into your old bedroom for the first time in a month. “thanks” you turned to Alana who was placing the bags on your familiar comforter, she just nodded and then left the room.

Pushing your bags aside, you climbed onto your bed and pushed your curtain out of the way. Across the yard and in the house next door, the room level to yours, Scotty sat on his bed twirling his phone subconsciously in his hand as he stared blankly into the air. Biting your lip, you quickly pulled your phone out of your pocket and quickly typed a message to him.