Chapter 132...

“Alright, you have to step up here then wait until the person in front of you reaches the fifth row of seats, then you start walking” your principal explained as he pointed out where students were supposed to go and where they were suppose to walk. Scotty was about five people away from you, and he kept stealing peeks at you. “before you know it you’ll all be handed your diploma and will be leaving Garner Magnet High School as graduates” the principal stated proudly. The room began to fill with loud cheering and Scotty peeked back at you once more, this time you caught it. He blushed as you winked at him, then he slowly looked straight ahead, not wanting you to catch him once again.

-

June 7th 2012

Scotty’s POV

“hey, bud, how’s it going in there?” Mr. McCreery called from the other side of the bed room door. Scotty grunted in agitation, “not so good” he had called out as he continued to mess with his tie in the full length mirror. The door instantly opened, and Scotty turned himself to face his dad, the moment he had stepped into the room. “oh boy, you really messed this one up” Mr. McCreery had chuckled as he grabbed onto the golden tie hanging from his sons neck. “hey, I thought I did pretty good for my first try” Scotty defended himself. “yeah I guess you did, only if you were going for a whole rats nest look” his dad chuckled at his own joke. Not sure how to defend himself once again, Scotty just rolled his eyes causing his dad to laugh once more. 

“Scotty are you almost ready?” Mrs. McCreery called popping her head into the room then “oh goodness, Scotty don’t ever ask your father to tie a tie for you, he’s terrible at it! Makes his own look like rats nest” she stated as she walked into the room. After pushing Mr. McCreery’s hands out of the way she quickly tied the tie and then put each one of her hands on opposite shoulders of her son all while taking a step back. “my final baby’s growing up” she said, tears threatening her eyes.  “momma” Scotty said, pulling her into a hug. “come on y’all the (lastname)’s are outside waiting for us” Ashley’s voice rang throughout the house. “oh that’s right! Come on you two” Mrs. McCreery spoke pulling out of Scotty’s arms and scurrying out of the room. Scotty and his father looked at each other, sharing the same look, then a quick laugh before they filed out of the room. 

With his gown and sash draped over his shoulder, and his cap in hand, Scotty stepped out the front door and looked out towards the yard. It was suddenly as if he ran into a brick wall. He froze there with his breath caught in his throat, and his palms beginning to sweat. “son, are you alright?” his father asked standing a few feet away. “um, I, uh” Scotty muttered out not making full sentences. “what?” Mr. McCreery asked a he looked out towards the yard. “oh I see whats going on, well son you better wipe that drool from your lip and pick up your jaw” Mr. McCreery patted his son’s shoulder as he walked past him off the porch.

(your name) turned around and spotted Scotty on the porch then. He quickly wiped that dumbfounded expression off his face and replaced it with a smirk as he strode off the porch. She took two somewhat graceful steps towards him before she reached out and took Scotty’s hand in hers and pulled him towards her. “isn’t this exciting?” she asked, he just nodded not really understanding the words her lips spoke but more focused on her face in general.

“come on you two! We gotta head to the school, don’t wanna be late!” Mrs. (lastname) called as she headed towards their family car. “I’ll see ya there” (your name) said slipping her hand from Scotty’s and heading towards the car. “yeah see ya” Scotty called out quickly before racing off to the family truck.

-

“we’re very proud of you, Scotty” Principal Cook whispered to Scotty once he had handed him his diploma, and gave him one final pat before Scotty continued down the line of important school representatives to shake hands with. Making his way back to his seat Scotty had spotted (your name) standing there, adjusting her tassel nervously. She suddenly noticed him looking at her and then had immediately stopped doing what she was doing. With a crooked smile Scotty gave her a quick nod, letting her know every thing will be alright. She gave him a smile and then it was her rows turn to go up. Scotty sat down with the rest of the class mates in his row, placing his diploma on his lap. As he watched student by student go up, he suddenly realized something. He was about to find out what school (your name) would be attending. 

Scotty’s eyes were focused on (your name) as Mr. Cook had called out her name, and she began to walk. “she will be attending North Carolina State University” Scotty’s eyes went wide. She’s going to NC State. I’m going to NC State. We’re going to the same college. We’re gonna be together.

Scotty almost jumped up out of his chair, but he used the only energy he had to stop himself.

As (your name) walked back to her seat she gave Scotty a quick wink, before she stood there next to her classmates and waited for her turn to be seated. 

-

Your POV

“ahhh I’m so proud of you two!” Ashley gushed as she ran towards you and Scotty, grasping onto both of your shoulders and pulling you in a small group hug. “okay Ash, thanks, but I kinda can’t breathe” Scotty choked out. Ashley giggled before letting go, then taking a step back.  “my baby girl is all grown up” tears streamed down your mom’s face. Your dad on the other hand was holding up pretty well, as he patted your back briefly then turned towards your mom to try and calm her down.

“So, (your name), I see you finally decided on NC State” Mrs. McCreery said as she came up to you, placing her arm around your back. “yes ma’am, I did” you stated proudly. “so what made you choose NC State?” she questioned, “well it’s a beautiful school, great atmosphere” you shrugged “and I have other reasons” you said, as you snuck a peak at Scotty who was once again in a bone crushing hug with Ashley. “well I’m sure what ever those other reasons are will stand by you for a long while my dear”  Mrs. McCreery before giving you a final smile then walking off towards her son.

Your mom, who’s tears were all dried up, and your dad both came up to you then, pulling you into a hug “we’re so proud of you baby girl” they both whispered almost in unison. “thank you” was all you could say before you became choked up.