Chapter 87...

Scotty’s POV

Taking a right turn, the truck continued to cruise down the quiet path with it’s high beams exposing everything that was hidden in the darkness.

His blue eyes were focused ahead of him as he held onto the steering wheel, while his mind had only one thing on it. Her.

She sat there quietly in the passenger seat. So quiet that it seemed as if she was sleeping, yet, the sound of her breathing distinguished that she was still awake.

Finally Scotty put the truck in park and for the first time, he glanced at her. Her knees were pulled up to her chest, as she leaned her head against the window, with the light of the moon dancing across her face.

“Lake Benson?” she asked, turning towards him, with confusion playing in her eyes. “come on” he simply said, unbuckling his seat belt, opening his door and climbing out.

Walking to the front of the truck, he stood there, and looked out towards the gleaming black water. He listened as he heard the passenger side door open and then close. Then with just a few steps in his direction, she appeared by his side.

“What are we doing here?” she asked, looking up towards him. He smiled, but didn’t answer, as he climbed onto the hood of the truck. He then held his hand out towards her. Looking from his eyes, to his hand, then back to his eyes, she grabbed firmly onto his hand and he pulled her up.

Once again she pulled her knees up to her chest, and rested her chin on top.

Crickets began to chirp int he background, as not a single word was said between the two.

come on Scotty, if you’re able to sing in front of millions of people you should be able to do this!’Scotty thought to himself, as his palms became sweaty.

Taking a deep breath, he placed his hand on the hood of the truck and started to turn himself, so he was facing her, but since his palm was sweaty his hand slipped and he went backwards off the hood, with his back landing on the hard ground.

“dagum” he muttered, as he slowly sat up. “Scotty, are you okay?” he heard, her sweet voice ask, as the sound of her jumping off the hood and walking around the truck, followed.

Seeing him sitting there on the ground, she accidentally let a soft laugh pass her lips, but quickly she covered both hands over her mouth, stopping the sound all together.

“yeah i’m fine” Scotty said, laughing a bit himself, as he got up. He then began to walk back to the hood of the truck, but was stopped when he felt, her firm, but gentle grip on his arm. Slowly he turned around “Scotty” she simply said, with nothing to follow, a she dropped her arm. Scotty ran his fingers through his hair, but then turned back around and climbed back up on the hood, he patted the space next to him. She walked back over and with the help from him, he helped her back on. 

Once more, it was silent. The crickets started up again, as the stars became more prominent in the night sky.

Rubbing his palms on his shorts, Scotty took one more last deep breath.

“Remember a few months back” he began, but paused too look down at the ground “when i told you, that I thought i liked you?” he finished. When she didnt say anything, Scotty looked up, she was sitting there, knees pulled up, chin resting on top. She looked up from the ground and met his eyes “yeah?” she finally said. “well, I lied” Scotty continued. He watched, her face didnt falter that blank expression. She blinked a few times, then exhaled “i thought you might have” she simply said. 

For a moment, Scotty felt like he had just been hit in the throat with a baseball.

He ran his fingers through his hair once more, as he looked down towards the ground. “what I lied about, was thinking that I liked you, when ever since I set my eyes on you, seven years ago, i’ve known i liked you” he quickly said, then paused to take a deep breath as he climbed off the hood and stood in front of (yourname). “well I guess you can say it’s more than like, now” he whispered as he looked into (yourname)’s eyes. When she didn’t say anything, Scotty licked his lips, and began to talk even faster then before “see, no matter who i’m with, you’re the only one on my mind. And just, everytime I see you, I feel like i’m being shot up to heaven, because the way you look at me with those eyes, it just kills me inside” he kept his eyes on her. She just sat there, not changing her expression no matter what he said. “and i’m sounding so cheesy right now” he practically muttered.

Her face faltered then, with a smile spreading onto her lips “i feel the same way” (yourname) quickly said “really?” Scotty asked, as his eyes went wide, she just nodded, with a smile gleaming on her face “dagum” Scotty whispered, as he looked to his left, then back to her, “oh Scotty” she said, jumping off the hood and into Scotty’s arms. He caught her, but didn’t catch himself, as the two went crashing down to the ground. His hands were woven tightly around (yourname)’s waste, keeping her safe from getting hurt.

They both laughed for moment, but then stopped once their eyes met each others. “so, where does this take us?” Scotty asked, pulled one of his arms away from her waste, and putting it behind his head, supporting it up. “well where do you want it to take us?” she asked, biting her lip “well i’m still hoping to make you Mrs. Scott McCreery, but i can settle for you being my girlfriend for now, if that’s okay with you?” he asked, with a cheeky smile playing on his lips “that’s fine by me” she said, as the light pink color filled her cheeks “good” Scotty softly said, as he leaned up and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. When he pulled away, he watched as the light pink turned to a deep red color, this caused him to laugh, which made her blush even more. She burried her face into his chest “no, come on, i find it cute when you blush” he said. Slowly she lifted her face up and smiled at him “thats better” he said stroking her cheek for a moment. “okay I better get ya home, before your parents know your gone” he said, as he slowly sat up “yeah, lets hurry” she said carefully getting up off of him, and helping him up.

He walked her to the passenger side door and opened it up, helped her inside, then closed the door.

After he got in the drivers seat, he buckled himself up and turned the engine on. Then he turned to his girlfriend next to him, she was already smiling at him, and instantly moved into the middle seat. She buckled herself in and then Scotty placed his arm around her shoulder, in a comforting way, she smiled at this, and snuggled up against him, as he pulled away from the lake.