Surprises - Part One

hello everyone :) well this is actually different from the Maya and Harry you know... HERE'S SOME BACKGROUND INFO: basically, this is like Maya and Harry knew each other in high school and then they went to college, but then Maya got pregnant (i know it's cliche leave me alone) and had to drop out early to have the baby who she named Emma (cuz i love that name) and they live in a small apartment in NYC together, but Harry is still at college in England, so he never met his daughter who is now four years old. Maya's around 23 and Harry's probably 23-24. Sooo that's where this chapter is starting :) i hope ya like it!! :D

MAYA’S P.O.V.

            I carefully crawled into bed next to my four year old daughter Emma whose back was turned to me. When I shut off all the lights, she turned over to face me.

            “Mommy,” she whispered, moving closer to me.

            “Why aren’t you asleep, babe?” I asked softly, pulling some hair behind her ear.

            “I keep thinking.” Emma furrowed her eyebrows and blinked a couple times.

            “Well stop thinking and fall asleep, it’s getting late.”

            “But I want to tell you what I’m thinking about…” she whispered, looking up at me with big eyes.

            “Okay, tell me what you’re thinking about.” I smiled at my daughter who moved to lie on her back.

            “What does Daddy look like?”

            I exhaled and nodded my head a little bit. “He’s very handsome…” I started to say. “He’s tall… and he has dimples, just like you. And he has curly hair…”

            “Do I look like him?” Emma asked with a big smile.

            “Yes you do look like him.”

            “When is he coming? I want to meet him…”

            I sealed my lips shut. I honestly felt terrible that Emma had never met her own father. Every child should be able to grow up with their father, but Harry was still over in England, finishing up college. I had her when I started college which forced me to drop out to take care of her. It was really hard at first because I barely had any money to support the two of us and the small apartment that my parents were helping me pay for. They especially were not happy about me having a daughter at this age. I wasn’t even married, and Emma’s father wasn’t even here with us.

            “He’ll be here soon, okay?” I assured her with a forced smile.

            “I’m really excited to see him,” Emma said tiredly. “I’m going to give him a big hug.” 

            “Mmm…” I hummed, running my hand through her curly hair. “He’d love that. Now go to sleep love, its late.”

            Emma closed her eyes and I pulled some hair behind her ear before kissing her forehead goodnight.  

TWO WEEKS LATER

            Emma and I were sitting on the couch watching Sesame Street together one morning when we both heard a knock on our apartment door. “I’ll get it, love, stay here.” I spread the blanket over my daughter and walked over to the front door. I opened it and my jaw nearly fell to the floor.