Heartbreaks and Heartaches - Part Three

more to come in a little bit!

ONE AND A HALF YEARS LATER

            After a while, my depression had weakened a little bit more, which I thought was a good sign. I started going back to work however, I would still get some panic attacks every now and then. Some nights, I would still cry, but it wasn’t half as bad as what it was like in the beginning. I went out with my friends some nights, and I was mostly fine.

            After a couple months, I saw some articles of Harry going to clubs and the paparazzi made it look like he was perfectly fine. I think in one picture, he even had a girl with him, which hurt a little bit, seeing him with someone else after everything that had happened between us. I felt like I was being dramatic, but I still was not over him. Considering that he had been my first steady boyfriend who happened to take my virginity, it was hard to let go.

            I hadn’t heard from the boys, and to be honest, I had a feeling that they all forgot about me. I wouldn’t be surprised because it wasn’t like I had drastically impacted their lives or anything. All I did was go out with one of their band members. I would occasionally get a text from Zayn or Liam asking how I was, but besides that, I didn’t talk to them.

            Since my friends had started taking me out a bit more once I got better, I started getting approached by new men. Camille had had a party at her apartment and I started talking to one of her friends from college. He was nice and all, but was getting a bit too close to me. I even told myself to try to find someone new, but every time I tried getting to know a man, Harry always showed up in my thoughts. I hated comparing them to him, but it just happened. And none of them were half as good as Harry.

            Camille had even tried to set me up with someone new when I was ready, so I’d gone on one or two dates, but none of them really clicked. None of them were like the dates that Harry and I used to go on. The ones that were so effortlessly perfect where we’d be walking home and he’d give me his blazer and he’d wrap his arm around me. He’d hold me closer to him when other men walked by, just to make the point that I was his and no one else’s. These new dates just felt so forced and awkward, even though the men were all very nice and sweet. They just weren’t the same, and I don’t think they’d ever be the same. I just didn’t think I was ready to move on just yet.

            One day at work, Camille had invited me to fly over to Europe for a short vacation with her, and I couldn’t say no. So, I packed my bags and we were on the next plane over. What Camille hadn’t told me was that we were going to London first.

            The plane ride was alright, up until the end when we were descending. Someone started getting sick. I couldn’t see them, I could only hear them. I started freaking out. Luckily, Camille knew exactly how to handle the situation. She wrapped her arm around me and within fifteen minutes, the flight had landed and we were off the plane. I tried to breathe evenly in the airport, just to calm myself down. I knew there were going to be a lot of people here, and I had to convince myself that I was going to be okay.

            Once we were out of the airport and in a taxi driving us to our hotel, I’d calmed down.

            “I love you Maya,” Camille smiled at me and squeezed my hand.

            I felt myself smiling a little bit, but I was still exhausted. “Love you too.” Camille giggled a little bit and looked out her window at the rainy weather of London, England.

            An hour or so later, we were lying in our separate beds, taking a nap from jet lag. It felt nice to lie down and just relax, since I was always so exhausted after one of my panic attacks. It always felt like I’d just run an entire marathon.