Snowman

December 2023

For once the dorm was relatively quiet. It almost seemed wrong. In fact it seemed completely and utterly wrong and horrible. Yet, I actually enjoyed it. Considering the dorm was abnormally quiet and that the kitchen usually was the quietest room, you could imagine how deafening the silence in the kitchen actually was.

I could hear my pen against my paper. 

It was that quiet.

The only noise that interrupted my silence was a few footsteps and the chair beside me getting pulled out and sat in. A small glance to my side revealed Sunghoon, sitting quietly on his phone. Not saying a word. He just sat there.

"Hello," I remarked and he glanced over at me.

"Hi," he replied shortly, "what is it that you're doing?"

"Filling out forms to renew my visa," I excused and he raised both his eyebrows and looked down at the papers in front of me.

"Have fun," he murmured and looked back down at his phone.

I had almost let out a small snort before turning back to my papers, but I had managed to just stay quiet. Filling out these papers always took a lot longer when Jay wasn't there to help me with reading, translating the difficult words, and spelling the Korean words. Usually leaving me with a paranoia that I had spelled something wrong and would be denied a visa renewal simply because of that - that is of course only the times I had to do it myself.

In the time he sat beside me, Sunghoon never said a word - and I managed to actually focus properly on the forms. Letting out a small sigh when I was sure I was finished and actually catching Sunghoon's attention once again.

"Will you check for spelling mistakes?" I murmured and clicked my pen, looking over at Sunghoon.

"Spelling?" he questioned with a small frown and I nodded, tapping my forms.

"Jay usually helps me," I nodded, "but I think I understood all questions properly this time."

"I didn't know you still struggled with spelling," Sunghoon remarked and slid my forms closer to him.

"I don't think I do. I just usually have Jay check them for confindence that it's all fine," I excused, getting a small nod from Sunghoon.

"Looks good," he assured with a small nod after about a minute, sliding it back over the table, "you surely will be allowed to stay. The spelling isn't kicking you out this time around."

"I didn't suspect it would," I nodded quietly, grabbing the forms and shoving them back in the envelope they came in. Sealing it up and attaching a post it note addressing it to our manager - he usually were in charge of getting my forms over to the embassy for me to renew my visa.

"Can I come with an idea?" Sunghoon impatiently questioned and quirked a brow at me, slowly starting to grin widely.

"Depends... how much I am involved in that idea?" I questioned in amusement.

"It's at least half as much as I am... if not as much," he shrugged and, "or as much as I am... we're in an equal relationship."

"And are you gonna tell me or are you gonna talk around it?" I let out a small laugh.

"It's just that it's Christmas soon and...." he let out a small sigh, glancing around the kitchen.

"We don't have to give Christmas gifts, just because you feel like you should," I reminded in amusement.

"No, no. I already have your gift," he waved it off, "I have had it since October. No... I uhm... it's just that... there might be a small tiktok dance... I guess."