Bullies

Haneul 6 years old

I grinned widely at the cookies Yuri was poking out with her cookie cutters before I helped place them on the baking plate that would go into the oven.

"They are so pretty Yuri," I softly cooed at the small girl, that stood on a stool beside me, "who is that one for?"

"Hmm..." the girl hummed as she just pushed the the star formed cookie cutter down onto the batter I had made, "Shuwoo," she happily smiled as she lifted the cookie cutter again.

"Ah... I'm sure Sunoo will be very happy to get the star," I nodded in agreement as she giggled and pressed out a few other stars.

Yuri happily leaned on another cookie cutter to get a fish shaped cookie she claimed was for uncle 'Rivi'. 

"We're home," Sunghoon's voice cooed out as I watched Haneul march right through the living room and down towards her room.

"What is up with her today?" I questioned as Sunghoon stepped into the living room and let out a deep sigh before shaking his head and rushing up to me.

"Been silent the whole way home. I'll go talk with her now, don't worry," he assured and pressed a kiss to my cheek as his hand laid on one side of my waist, "wah Yuri-ah," he happily cooed at the cookies Yuri was making as the girl just looked up at her dad and let out a happy giggle, "which one of those are for papa?"

"Mhhh... stars?" Yuri questioned and I let out a small laugh at her.

"Now, remember you said the stars were for Sunoo," I softly nudged her shoulder and she sheepishly grinned at me while Sunghoon just let out a small gasp.

"You didn't make cookies for papa, but you made cookies for uncle Sunoo?" he questioned in shock and Yuri simply shook her head before pointing to the cookies that was shaped like snowflakes, "ahh... snowflakes, of course. How could I miss it?" he grinned widely before standing up again, "make good cookies, okay princess?" he questioned and ruffled Yuri's hair before she just nodded with determination and turned back to her cookie cutting process.

"Call me if you need help with Haneul, okay?" I questioned and Sunghoon just nodded as one of his hands laid itself back on my waist, "was practice good?"

"I think I'm getting a bit old," he admitted with a small laugh, while I just hummed and reached up to peck his cheek.

"Go check on Haneul," I pointed out and he nodded at me before rushing to the older girl's room.

I quietly continued to watch as Yuri made cookie after cookie until there was no more dough left and we put them in the oven. Yuri had immediately run off to wash her hands before she went to play with her toys, while waiting for her cookies to bake. I... was left to do the dishes.

"Okay, I got it," Sunghoon whispered as he walked back out into the kitchen again and I looked up at him, "apparently some kids at school have been mean to her because she's not fully Korean," he sighed and I just looked at him in disbelief, "she told me not to tell you, because she knows she gets the other genes from you."

"I'll go talk with her," I sighed and dropped the cloth from me making Sunghoon immediately grab my arm to stop me, "if any of the two of us knows how to handle racist kids, it's me, isn't it?"

"She doesn't want you to know," he reminded with a small sigh.

"Then she'll also learn that her papa is bad at keeping secrets as well," I pointed out and Sunghoon let out a small laugh that was mixed with a sigh, "go take a rest, okay?"

Sunghoon quietly nodded before I rushed out of the kitchen and down to Haneul's room. I quietly knocked on the door before slowly opening it, to find Haneul laying on her bed, looking out the window beside her.

"Sweetie," I called out and she let out a small huff, "papa told me what the other kids said."

"But it is not fair," Haneul immediately sat up and looked at me with a pout, "I look Korean, don't I?"

"You do," I hummed and sat down on her bed, while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, "but you know what you also do?"

"What?" she murmured.

"You also look like me," I reminded and she let out another huff before looking out the window, "and I know you don't wanna look like me, but there's nothing we can do about it... besides... you wanna know something?"

"What?" Haneul murmured with an angry look on her face, but in reality it was more cute than angry.

"Your classmates might all be fully Korean, and you might not be. But you have a much cooler family," I reminded her and she just glanced at me, "yeah... much cooler."

"I don't think so," she huffed and I smiled softly at her.

"You know where mama is from?" I questioned and she slowly shook her head, "I'm from Europe... England," I happily told her, "my dad was from Korea, and my mom was from England. Uncle Ethan and I was both circus artists when we were kids, your age. Isn't that cool?"

"Yeah..." she quietly murmured.

"But you know what?" I questioned and she shook her head again, "it's your great grandma that's really cool. My grandma," I pointed out and her mouth opened slightly, "great grandma was a big actress when she was young. She was from Switzerland... great grandpa was from Italy, so you also have that... but grandma... she was amazing," I marvelled to her and her angry face slowly turned more and more fascinated, "yeah... she was in all these movies and musicals. Everyone loved her and called her the prettiest woman of her time. She was praised and loved by everyone... but still it wasn't everyone."

"Well, if she was so pretty and amazing, why didn't everyone love her?" Haneul wondered and I let out a small laugh as I looked down at her.

"Because she was like you," I pointed out and a frown grew on her face, "even if she was pretty and amazing at what she did... people were still jealous of her, and when people get jealous they tend to say some not so nice things, that hurt your feelings."

"So they're... jealous of me?" Haneul questioned and I quietly nodded, "really?"

"Mhm... so just remember next time they say something about you not being fully Korean and bully you with it, you just gotta lift your chin and remember that your great grandma was one of the greatest women to ever live, and you're gonna be just like her," I reminded and Haneul happily smiled, "now get over and do your homework before Yuri's cookies are done."

"Will do mom!" Haneul happily got up from her bed and jumped over to her desk as I slowly got up from her bed and quietly left the room.

I was as silent as possible as I closed the door to her room, almost bumping into Sunghoon as I was about to walk back to the kitchen.

"You've been spying, haven't you?" I questioned and placed my hands on my hips as he just smiled down at me.

"You said all the right things," he assured and I quietly hummed at him, "she'll not only be just like her great grandma... but she'll be very much like her mom, and that's the best she could amount to."

"Oh shut it," I hissed and softly hit his chest before continuing down to the kitchen, turning around to walk backwards to give him my last retort, "the best version of Haneul is Park Haneul herself, and no one else."

Sunghoon simply let out a small laugh at me and nodded in agreement as he rushed to trail after me into the kitchen, immediately wrapping his arms around me the moment I had turned my back to him again.