Power Outage

October 2021

You know... it's funny how one moment Niki and Heeseung can sit and loudly yell at the other for playing unfair in FIFA, and the next it can go completely silent and dark.

"Ah... my time has come," Sunoo sighed as all form of light and electricity went out.

"You know... sometimes I wonder what is wrong with you," Jungwon spoke up.

"I'll go get candles," Jake offered.

"We could just use our phones... you're aware of that, right?" Jay questioned with a small laugh.

"But candles are more cozy!" Jake exclaimed in excitement.

Soon enough a light lit up by Niki as he had turned on the flashlight on his phone. I sat in complete silence as the boys joked about the power outage, I was desperately trying to keep my calm.

I quietly picked at my nails as I continued to glance around all the boys... they all seemed somewhat calm. Meanwhile I sat here having a whole mental crisis inside my head.

I didn't know what to do with myself, should I stay seated, but that felt too uncomfortable, or should I go into the bedroom to try and calm myself down, but that was even more quiet and dark.

"Excuse me," I muttered before quickly pushing myself up from the couch and rushing into the bedroom.

I felt the fear really grip onto me and grow in my stomach as I entered the pitch black room and just quickly felt my way over to my bunk and crawled up into it.

I quickly pulled my duvet up over my head as I tried to tell myself everything was alright. Which it was, it was just a power outage I wasn't going to die. But it surely felt like it.

"Hana?" a voice spoke up from the other side of my duvet making me let out a small squeal and quickly cover my mouth.

Not another second passed before the edge of the duvet had been lifted and a light flashed in as I stared out with wide eyes and managed to focus on a wide smiling Sunghoon.

"What are you doing?" he let out a small laugh at me.

I just stayed silent and continued to stare at him in shock.

"Come on, lets go out to the other boys," he urged and pulled the duvet off my head making me immediately shake my head and grab tightly onto my duvet, "no?"

"It's embarrassing," I muttered to him making him frown at me.

"What's embarrassing?" he questioned in confusion.

"I'm scared of the dark..." I whispered making his expression soften immediately.

"So you left so we wouldn't see?" he questioned and I nodded at him, "move over."

"Huh?" I questioned in confussion making him let out a small laugh at me.

"Well... if you're scared you'll need someone to protect you... and who better than your ice prince?" he questioned almost as i f it was obvious.

I didn't say anything I just carefully moved back towards the wall. Sunghoon didn't even hesitate before crawling up in my bunk and crawling under my duvet, turning off his flashlight, making me immediately stiffen.

"Relax... I got you, nothing is going to come and try and hurt you," Sunghoon softly spoke as he laid down beside me and brought me close to him before tugging my duvet tightly behind me, "see? You feeling safe?"

"Sort of," I hummed with a small nod.

"Have you always been this scared of the dark?" he carefully questioned and I hesitated a bit before just nodding, "why?"

"I don't know..." I admitted making him just hum and press a kiss to my forehead.

"I'm gonna protect you... try and sleep and then when you wake up I promise the power will be back, and I'll still be laying here," he softly assured and I just nodded, "I mean it... try and fall asleep."

"I get it, I get it," I assured him.

I hesitantly closed my eyes and let myself try and slow down my breathing. I just had to imagine that this was nothing different from any other night I would go to sleep, in a dark room. Nothing was different except that there was a power outage, which I simply had to forget about.

And eventually I managed to tell myself that was just another normal night and felt myself slowly drift off, feeling awfully secure and safe in Sunghoon's embrace.