66.

"So who is he?" Athena asked as we both scanned our paddock passes. "Who's who?"

"The guy you're seeing" she raised her eyebrow with a little smirk.

I chuckled. "I have no idea what you're talking about"

We both knew I was lying but she didn't ask anything else. She just nodded with a smile on her face.

I wish I could tell her, I wish I could brag about how amazing and perfect Lando was.
How I would do anything for him and he would do anything for me.

But I couldn't, I didn't trust her completely, not yet at least and for this plan to work, Georgia had to think Lando was single.

She had to think she had a chance with him.

Toto was waiting for us, he was standing in the hospitality and as soon as we walked in, he gestured me to follow him.

"I will see you later" I whispered to Athena before walking after Toto.

He didn't say a word until we reached his office. He pointed at the chair in front of his desk. "Am I in trouble?" I asked as I sat down.

He looked around, everywhere except at me.

I was in trouble.

"I am so sorry River, we appreciate all the work you did for us, you truly tried to change this team" it was the first time he actually looked at me.

I sighed. "Are you firing me?"

"I am sorry River, my hands are tied" his eyes looked down at his desk. He didn't want to do this, but he had to.

I shook my head. "Why?"

"The board heard some stories. River, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about"

Fucking Nate, now he was messing with my job as well.

I put my hands on his desk and got up. "Thanks" I mumbled.

"River wait" Toto half yelled, also getting up from his chair. He was feeling bad, he had pity. I didn't want pity, I wanted revenge.

"Toto honestly thanks for the opportunity you gave me. You really took a chance on me and I couldn't be more thankful for that" I walked to the door but decided to turn around one last time.

"But promise me one thing, keep supporting your drivers and keep showing up at the podium ceremony"

He nodded with a little smile and I walked out of his office, his hospitality with my head high.
I wanted to handle this with grace.

Nate:

Seems like u got fired
Maybe you can go back to ur old ways?
Black Cat 😉

Oh I think I'll go back to my old ways

Really?
Team up?

Meet me in Monaco

————————

God he was so easy to manipulate.

I kicked a chair on my way out of the hospitality. I guess I couldn't handle this with grace after all.

Lando just walked by with Georgia next to him. He tilted his head a little as he looked at me. He was probably wondering what was wrong, but he couldn't ask, he couldn't walk up to me.

I was just hoping he had more luck with Georgia. Hopefully he could convince her to open up to him.
It wouldn't be too hard with a face like that.

"Tough day Ocean?" George asked as he was about to walk in the hospitality. I guess Toto didn't tell him about it yet.

"Your boss just fired me, so yeah pretty tough" I was about to walk away when he grabbed my arm. "What? Why?"

"Don't worry about it George, just do your best and please don't crash into Lewis too often" I tried to change the subject. I definitely wasn't gonna tell him why I got fired.

He nodded as he let go off my arm. "I will miss you River" he was genuine, it was also the first time he used my real name.

"I will miss you too"

And I genuinely was gonna miss him, I was gonna miss Lewis too.
But I would be back soon, this wasn't my last time in this paddock.

They could be sure about that.