8.

My notebook was laying on my legs as I was laying in the bed of my hotel room.
It was a nice room, next to Christian, he probably wanted to keep an eye out for me.

He wanted to make sure I wouldn't sneak away in the middle of the night.
As if I was a child.

I brushed my fingers over the notebook, over the words he wrote to me.

I was thinking about what I could write back to him. What can I tell him about myself without actually telling him who I am?

I grabbed my phone and scrolled through Instagram, trying to get my mind off of things for a while.

And of course the one guy I was trying to avoid popped up.
I didn't even follow him, why was this happening?

@LandoNorris: Neck day all day

Liked by @MaxVerstappen1, @Mclaren, @Quadrant and 494.283 others.

@Mclaren: Getting ready for tomorrow
@Quadrant: Let's go boss!
@user1: Damnnnn
@user2: what I would do for him 🧎‍♀️

I scoffed a little, why was everyone so obsessed with him? He was cute, but he wasn't that special.

I put my phone to the side and grabbed my notebook again.

Hi mystery guy,

I can totally understand what you mean by the pressure.
But you know what they say 'diamonds are made under pressure'.

Uhh let's see.
I like writing - I always wanted to be an author.
I lost both of my parents in a car crash when I was eight. (And I don't want pity, I just wanted to explain why I am a bit guarded)
And maybe good to know too - I am 22.

What can you tell me about yourself?

——————-

I put the notebook once again on the table in front of the Red Bull hospitality.
I told him my age because I also wanted to know how old he was.

Please don't be a 50 year old guy because I was actually getting attached to him.

Fuck what if it was Christian? No, I knew his handwriting and he wouldn't call me muppet.
I never heard that nickname before though, who called someone a muppet?

"So you joined Max on his media duties without telling me?" Christian was standing in front of me. I could try to use my usual smile but for some reason I knew it wouldn't work now.

"Yes I did" I sighed. "Look Christian, Blake is lovely but social media isn't something for me"

He softened up a little.

"And PR is?" He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know, maybe not but I like it more than social media"

He looked at me, he would move mountains for me, I knew that but I didn't want to take someone's job even though he would probably do that for me.

"But I'll do whatever you want me to do" I smiled. "Then catering it is, for today" he answered with a little chuckle.

Catering? Fuck, maybe I wanted to take someone's job after all.

I had no choice. Catering it was.

It was quiet and pretty boring because the drivers were doing their final practice session.
Half an hour later, Max and Lando walked in together.

I rolled my eyes, why was he everywhere?

"Another day, another job" Max laughed as he leaned against the counter. "I thought you wanted to be my PR manager?"

"I am not quite sure Christian wants that" I laughed, completely ignoring Lando.

"You'll convince him either way" he winked before looking at Lando, who was just standing next to him. He was looking at me with an annoyed look on his face.

"So this is Lando, but I guess you already met him" Max introduced him even though we needed no introduction.
"Oh we definitely met" Lando groaned.

You could cut the tension with a knife.

Max could feel it too, because he quickly grabbed his lunch and sat down on an empty table.
Lando didn't follow him immediately, he was just looking at me.

"So River, does Christian know what kind of person he hired?"

Oh Lando, you had no fucking idea. He definitely knew I was fucked up, just not how much.

I decided to ignore his question. "So Lando, you want food or do you just gonna stare at me?"

He chuckled. "River River River" he said as he shook his head. "I would rather jump off a bridge than eat food you prepared"

I was nailed to the ground, no one ever left me speechless like he did, he gave me shivers.
Not the good kind though.

I couldn't even reply because he already turned around and said goodbye to Max before walking out of the hospitality.

I couldn't stop looking at him. He was so full of himself.
He looked at my notebook on the table outside before walking away completely.

He had every reason to be like that, but I wasn't gonna hold back anymore either.
Two could play that game.