61.

River's POV

I woke up next to Lando the next morning. I don't know what happened last night, I wasn't thinking clearly, I was just following my heart.

Lando definitely occupied a big part of my heart, but then there was Max. He was different, way different and it was a breath of fresh air.

I looked next to me, Lando was still asleep, his curls were a little mess but he looked so peaceful.
There wasn't a worry in that little head, at least not when he was asleep.

I brushed my finger over his face, he grumbled a little and opened his eyes. "Oh thank God it wasn't just a dream" his voice roared a little.

That damn morning voice.

"No it wasn't but unfortunately we have to go" my hand went up to his hair and I fixed his curls a little.
His hair was always one of my favorite things to play with, it was so soft.

He sighed and pulled me closer against his body. "Do we really have to?"

"You definitely do, you have a race to win" I giggled and put my head on his chest.

He chuckled. "As if I could snatch a win"

I guess he didn't gain more confidence during our time apart. I hated that he thought he wasn't good or talented enough because he clearly was.

He was so goddamn talented.

"Hey, you can definitely win, I'll be secretly rooting for you" I kissed his chest softly.

I should probably be rooting for the drivers in my team, but there's nothing I wanted more than see Lando win his first race.

Maybe there was even something I could do to help him, just a little.

"You'll get it, if it's not today then it will be soon" I assured him.

He smiled, his fingers brushed over my face. "I won already"

He was winning my heart over and over again.

——————————

I walked in the paddock by myself. No one had to know Lando and I made up, not yet at least.
I wanted to tell Max myself, before he heard it from anyone else.

Max was walking out of his hospitality, just as I arrived. He smiled as soon as he saw me.

Perfect timing.

"Max, can I talk to you for a second?" He nodded, gesturing to follow him to a table outside the hospitality.

We both sat down, my heart started beating faster. Max was the sweetest guy but he was also quite intense, there was no way in predicting how he was gonna react.

"You look beautiful today" he smiled and offered me his Red Bull. He knew I loved those, but I couldn't drink them anymore since I worked for Mercedes.

"Thanks" I said as I took a quick sip from his Red Bull. He started laughing. "No one saw that"

"Max, I don't know what's going on between us but-" I started but I got distracted when I saw Lando walking next to Jon.

Max followed my gaze. "But your heart is set on Lando"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I guess so"

"You guess so? That doesn't sounds too convincing" he finished his Red Bull and threw his can in the trash. "If you think I'm gonna let him win, then you certainly don't know me"

He got up and put his hand on my shoulder, squeezing it gently. "I have to go, but I'll see you after the race"

Like I said, quite intense.

I had to go as well, the race was about to start so I had to hurry to the pitwall.

I quickly sat down next to Bono and grabbed the headphones. "Good luck boys" I looked at everyone and they all smiled.

Giving the Mercedes boys a podium was definitely something I had to do while preferably keeping them behind Lando.