16.

River's POV

It was already late when I returned to my hotel room. I stayed there with Lando for an hour and I actually enjoyed myself.

I enjoyed myself with him, even though he probably still hated me. I didn't really care, I finally had the chance to apologize.

The only thing that ruined this evening, was the fact that my mystery guy didn't answer.
I texted him and he read it, but just didn't bother to answer.

He worked for Mclaren, I didn't really expect that because I never noticed a Mclaren employee in front of the Red Bull hospitality.

I sighed as I fell down on my bed. I was exhausted and tomorrow was gonna be the first race where I actually had to figure out a strategy.

Mystery guy

Hi hi
Well no I don't want you to quit.
I want to keep getting to know you
I work for Mclaren yes :)

Good because I wanna get to know you too
Do you like working in F1?

I do, very much
Do you?

I will come back on that question
I am not sure yet
But Christian kinda forced me haha

Just when I hit send on the last message I figured I said too much.
Why would he force me if I was just a random employee?

I was such an idiot sometimes.

————————

I didn't look at my phone until the next morning. He replied, asking what I meant by my last text.

I ignored it for now. I had bigger fish to fry.

"Sorry" someone bumped my shoulder as I was walking in the paddock. "I am so late" a Mclaren employee smiled next to me.

"Busy night yeah?" I laughed. "Been texting with this girl, so I forgot the time" he pointed at his phone with a smile.

A Mclaren employee, he looked young and he had dark hair.
He seemed like the type of guy who would enjoy golf and video games.

"I am River" I smiled as my eyes traveled over his body. I've been searching for him and I was quite sure he was my mystery guy.

I don't know why, it could be literally everyone but I had a good feeling about him.

He nodded with a smile. "Nate"

"So Nate, do you like pizza?"

He raised his eyebrow a little, it probably clicked with him as well. "I love pizza"

I know you do.

"Do you maybe wanna grab pizza after the race?" I don't know why I felt so bold, but I was glad we actually met without the awkward vibe I was expecting.

He immediately nodded. "How can I say no to someone as hot as you?" He winked as he walked away.

I titled my head as I looked at him. He turned his face in my direction one more time with a smirk on his face.

I definitely didn't expect him to call me hot.

"Ready to make me win?" Max brushed his hand against my back. He snapped me out of my thoughts and I quickly nodded.

"I think I figured out who my mystery guy is by the way" I said as proudly as I could.
He looked at me surprised. "And do like him?"

I nodded enthusiastically. "He's cute. We're gonna grab pizza together after the race"

He didn't say anything else but his face revealed that he was surprised to hear that.

"I hope you'll enjoy yourself" he finally said. "But you still need to support me, okay?" He laughed and walked to his drivers room.

I obviously was gonna try to make him win. Why would that change because I met Nate?

He was exactly how I imagined him to be. Dark hair, dark eyes, tall, muscular, so I bet he was a mechanic.

Hopefully this race would be over soon because I couldn't wait to go on this little date with him.