31.

I ignored Max as best as I could the next day. When I saw him enter the hospitality, I would make another walk around the paddock.
When I saw him leave to go to the garage, I walked in the hospitality.

I couldn't face him. I still didn't know what to think about it all.

We were in Canada for the next race, I already prepared a basic strategy, which I still needed to adapt a little.

I was sitting on the pitwall while the drivers were doing their practice rounds.

"Ask River if she wants me with hards on?" Max asked GP through the radio. "Uh..hold on" GP answered confused and looked at me.

Max wanted to tease me. No one talked to their strategist over the radio, especially not to ask if they want to see them with a hard-on.

I pressed Max's button. "I prefer to see you with a soft"

Max chuckled in response. "You don't know what you're missing River"

GP and Christian both looked at me, with confusion all over their faces. I shrugged my shoulders at them and put my headphones down. I was gonna work in the garage.

I decided to focus on Checo's strategy instead, at least he wasn't making inappropriate jokes on the radio. For everyone to hear.

"I think you should focus less on other drivers and more on me" Max said from behind me.

I snorted. "Other drivers don't make inappropriate remarks on the radio. What the fuck is wrong with you?" I turned around to face him.

"Nothing, just wondering if you ever thought about giving me a hard..." he paused. "Tire" he continued but this time almost in a whisper.

I shook my head, turning my back to him again.

"I was serious River, I'm not playing with you" he said as he put his arm next to my body and leaned closer. "I wanna give you everything. I can handle you exactly the way you are"

"So can Lando" I snapped.

He laughed. He fucking laughed. "Oh come on, he can't even admit that he's the one who-" he stopped.

"Who's what?"

He shook his head. His laugh completely disappeared. "Nothing" he walked back to his car, ready to do another few laps.

I knew what he was doing. He was watering the seed he had planted.

————————

I grabbed my stuff and started walking out of the paddock. I obviously tried to avoid everyone, but most importantly Lando and Max.

They still had to do their interviews, so I could easily sneak out now.

"Are you already leaving?" Someone asked. I turned my head to my left, Toto freaking Wolff was walking next to me.

I looked around, he really was talking to me.

"Uh yeah"

He kept following me. "I was hoping I could talk to you in private"

"About what?" I looked at him. He had no idea who he was talking to. "We are looking for a new strategist"

"Good luck with that" I smiled politely. If Christian saw me talking to Toto, he would definitely kill me.

He cleared his throat. Why was he still following me? "We were obviously thinking about you"

"I know" I stopped walking and looked at him. "But why do you think I would ever leave Red Bull?"

Red Bull was the best team on the grid for the moment, why would I leave them and join a team that's obviously struggling?

"Because you like a challenge" he said as if he knew me.

Oh Toto, you have no fucking idea.

"I don't think the strategy is the biggest problem within your team" I grabbed my pass out of my pocket, ready to get the fuck out of here before Max or Lando would see me.

"Then what is?"

"The fact that you don't support your own fucking drivers" Okay that was maybe a little too harsh, but I really wanted to get out of here. "Where are you when Lewis gets a podium? Not at the podium to support him, no one is"

He said nothing. Toto Wolff was silenced.

"You have two of the best drivers but you don't put your faith in them" I scanned my pass and walked out but turned around pretty quickly. "And Toto, don't be so serious, bring a little fun in your team"

I shook my head as I walked out of the paddock. Did I just tell Toto what to do with his team?

I guess he wasn't gonna offer me the job anymore.