37.

"Good luck today" I kissed Lando's cheek as we were standing in front of the Mercedes hospitality.

"I'll ask Zak if you can come in the garage during the race" Lando said enthusiastically. I could see how excited he was about that. "I would absolutely love that"

He smacked my ass before walking away to his hospitality.

I let out a breath, I was nervous but I had to do this, I wanted this.

I walked in the Mercedes hospitality, a few employees looked at me weird, they probably thought I was still working for Red Bull, their biggest rival.

"I think you walked in the wrong hospitality" George said half joking half serious. As if I would actually walk in a wrong hospitality.

I looked around. "No, I think I'm gonna make you win races" I said as confident as I could. He tilted his head a little. "I already like you. Toto is in his office"

He pointed at an office in the hospitality. I walked to his door and knocked on it a few times. "Yes?" He yelled, he sounded annoyed and I immediately wanted to turn around and run away.

But my hands opened the door and my legs didn't run away, they walked straight in his office.

He was sitting at his desk, his head in his hands. "Uh are you alright?" I asked. This man looked as if he would break down any second.

He looked up almost immediately. I could tell he was surprised to see me. "River! Yes come sit down" he pointed at the chair in front of his desk.

I smiled as I took a seat in front of him. "Please tell me you're gonna make my day better" once again he was almost begging.

This team really needed some fresh positive energy for sure.

"I am, I can be your new strategist" I said with a big smile on my face. "If you still want me of course" I quickly added.

He threw his hands in the air. "Absolutely" it was like all his worries disappeared on his face. "I assume Red Bull had some type of closure in their contract, so when can you start?"

"Uh, next raceweekend" I smiled. This race was for Lando, I had to support him today and by the looks
of it, did Toto not expect me to start so early.

"Didn't you have a contract with Red Bull?" He asked. "No" I shook my head.
I knew he wanted to ask me more about that, ask why they didn't let me sign any sort of contract, but he didn't.

I guess he didn't want to scare me away. He was too relieved to think about that.

"Anyways, good for us. I will definitely make you a contract" he stood up and held his hand out to me. "Welcome to Mercedes. You'll hopefully make a big change here"

Oh Toto, you have no idea what kind of whirlwind you brought in your team.

——————————

I had lunch with Lewis and Toto before the race started. Lewis seemed doubtful about me, but I was definitely gonna change his mind.

He obviously saw me with Max and probably Lando a lot so it was normal he had his doubt.

Lando 💜

So am I allowed in your garage?
I wanna support you

You definitely are
But one question
Is my baby Mercedes' strategist?

Yessssss
But not today
Today I am your biggest supporter

Aren't you always? 😔

Guilty
I am on my way baby

I walked in the Mclaren garage as if I belonged there. It was a weird feeling, I was dating Lando but I worked for another team.

But they still trusted me to be here.

Lando was already wearing his helmet and ready to jump in the car but immediately walked to me as soon as he saw me.

"Fuck, I missed you" he muttered as he wrapped his arms around me. "You're gonna do so well" I wanted to kiss him but I couldn't so the other best thing was to kiss his helmet.

Not much later he jumped in his car and drove to the grid.

"I have to admit, when Lando said he had a girlfriend, I didn't expect it to be you" Zak said as he handed me headphones.

I took them and tilted my head. "I can't figure out if that's a compliment or an insult"

He laughed. "I am not entirely sure either, but please treat him well"

Should I be offended by this? I didn't know but I also didn't care.

Lando told him he has a girlfriend, that's all I remembered from his remark.
He was proud to tell his boss about me, so I was definitely gonna do everything to support and love him.