24.

Qualifying went amazing. Max was on pole while Checo qualified third. I couldn't be more happy with this result.

All I wanted to do was order pizza and sip some wine but unfortunately I had to attend a boring event.

I put one of my only dresses on with black over the knee boots.
I wanted to be sophisticated but also a little though.

I grabbed my clutch and closed the door of my hotel room behind me.

"Please hold the elevator" I ran to the elevator who was already closing but fortunately someone put their hand in between the doors. "Thanks" I said as I walked in.

"Going somewhere?" That British accent again. Lando was leaning against the elevator wall, his eyes were scanning over my body.
I noticed that his eyes stayed a little longer on my legs.

I cleared my throat which made him meet my eyes again. "A sponsor event" I answered. He frowned a little. "Since when do they want strategists at their sponsor events?"

Good question Lando but unfortunately I have to lie, but I didn't want to lie. I didn't want to lie to him.

"Maybe I am more than just a strategist" it wasn't a lie. I was more than that.
The elevator doors opened just in time because Lando wanted to ask another question, a question I probably couldn't give an honest answer to.

Not yet at least. I didn't know if we still hated each other. I didn't know if he still hated me.

I walked out as fast as I could. "Good bye Romeo"

———————

I never shook so many hands in my life. My cheeks were hurting from all the fake smiles I had to give.
I was done with laughing at jokes who weren't funny at all.

"Enjoying yourself?" Max stood next to me at the bar. He looked at the drink in my hand and grabbed it out of my hand. "Hey, come on I need that" I pleaded.

I wouldn't survive this without alcohol.

"No, you need an sober brain tomorrow" he looked around and put the glass on the bar. "Let's go, I'm done with this event"

It was the best idea he ever had. I grabbed my stuff and walked after him, out of this boring event.

Ten minutes later we arrived back at our hotel.

"Thanks for bringing me back" I smiled and put my hand on his arm. "You saved my life"

"Don't worry, I was bored as well" he laughed and pulled me in a hug.
His hugs were definitely one of the best I've ever had. He put so much love in those hugs, you could feel it.

"Good night River" he kissed my cheek, it was so unexpected that I could feel my cheeks heat up. "Good night Max"

I grabbed the keycard out of my clutch and just before I could open the door I heard a muffled voice. "It's interesting you know"

I quickly turned around. Lando was walking up to me. "What is interesting? What are you doing here?"

"I thought you were joking when you said you were more than just a strategist" he took a step closer and I took a step back. "But I guess it makes sense now"

"What do you mean?" I took another step back but my back was pressed against my door.

For some reason I knew he wasn't gonna hurt me, but I still didn't feel comfortable at all.

"That you're hooking up with Max" he was standing right in front of me. I could smell his cologne, he was freshly shaved and he looked so cosy wearing his hoodie and joggers.

I chuckled. "What? I am not hooking up with him"

His face softened a little. The jealousy disappeared.

He clenched his teeth against each other. I had to make this less awkward. "He's not exactly my type you know"

"What is your type then?"

I shrugged my shoulders and put my hand on his chest. "Lately I think I'm attracted to guys who work for Mclaren"

"I think I have a thing for strategists" he was looking in my eyes and his eyes wondered at my lips from time to time.

I bit my lower lip. "Then I'll have to find a strategy to your heart"

He chuckled and put his hand on my cheek. "That's not necessary, you're already on pole position"

I closed my eyes, leaning closer to him. I really wanted to kiss him. Maybe I did like him more than I wanted to admit.

"River, you forgot your -" someone yelled from the other side of the hallway, causing us to back away from each other again.

It was Max, holding up my phone. He had the worst timing ever.

He stopped and looked at Lando and I. "What are you doing here?"

"I-I wanted to see River" Lando stumbled over his words, taking another step back.

Max on the other hand just kept walking closer to us. "You better stay away from her"